Cladding bungalow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm looking to retrospect clad the front of a bungalow with either of hardieplank or marley eternit, purely for aesthetic reasons. I've got a couple of questions to those with experience.

1) i was intending to use 50mm battons which would allow me to install 20mm celotex with a 20/30mm cavity behind the cladding for air movement. Does that sound right? Bungalow is already double skinned brickwork but I figured extra insulation is always good.

2) the windows are set back around 30mm into the brickwork, which when you include the 50mm battons and say 30mm thickness of plank/angle, would mean I have to cover a 100mm reveal around the perimeter of the window frame. I'm not sure what to use to create this neat edge. I've used aluminium trims before on a workshop build, but you can't get Ali trims that deep. Would the best alternative be Hardieplank smooth, and trimmed the width to suit?

3) do I need to use a mastic to seal between the ends of the plank and the trim on edge? I didn't bother on the workshop build, and just left a couple of mm gap.

Thanks for any guidance.

Externally insulating outside a cavity wall is fine if the cavity is fully filled, but it would be a waste of money and effort if there was a void. I would check this first before committing to your plans. I think your reveals can be dealt with using the Eternit boards, cut to width to line the reveal, but I would ask Eternit for their standard details.

Back