Chucks and Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodger7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am thinking of buying another chuck. I already have Nova and Patriot chucks so I want one that will take those jaws but I also want to buy a set of step jaws. I am thinking about either the Charnwood Nexus or the Compatriot with either the Charnwood or Nova step jaws. The Charnwood options are cheaper but I am more confident with the Sorby/Nova products. I would be interested to learn of anyone's experience of the Charnwood chucks and jaws.
I am also considering getting a chuck for reversing bowls. Is the Robert Sorby Longworth style chuck as good as the adverts suggest?
Thanks.

I have tried Longworth chucks, admittedly home made, but found them very limited in holding ability and needed tailstock support at all times for safety, the very nature of having to clamp with hand pressure only provides very limited clamping force whilst you need another to tighten the chuck sheaves clamping bolts. I find Button Jaws (Cole jaws) far more secure and versatile.

Hi Chas. I have a bought set of Cole jaws and made a larger set. The bought ones are not too bad but I wanted a bigger size re-chucking device and liked the idea of having the holding lugs on a machined plane, hence my thinking about the Longworth chuck. I have seen a demonstration of the Robert Sorby version on Youtube and it looks good but the demonstrator appears to be doing a marketing job when doing the demonstration. However, your comments have given me some food for thought. Thank you.

Back