Chop saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an accurate chop saw,I need to cut very accurate mitres,I have amakita chop saw but not as accurate as I would like,I know that I could fine tune with a plane but I am looking at accuracy straight from the saw.The cost isn't that important just looking for the best.

I have a Festool Kapex which many consider to be one of the best, it is accurate but any type of chop saw or mitre saw is really classed as a portable power tool. You can introduce deflection in any of them by bad technique, especially on larger cuts.

There are some mitre saws for picture framing which I guess are the best but they make the Kapex sound cheap.

For the most accurate cuts you really need a table saw.

Doug

You don't mention if you need a sliding saw or not?

I think most would agree the either the festool kapex or the bosch GCM 12 GDL are about as accurate as it gets with a sliding mitre saw.

You'd probably get equal accuracy for far less if it wasn't a slider

No don't need a slider,I have a Sedgwick table saw but really need a stand alone chop saw,will look at the festoon one thanks for your input.

If you don't need to move it around, I'm very happy with the Metabo KGS254 iplus sliding mitre saw.
Big, heavy and well made. The only such saw I've seen that has an induction motor fitted. Makes it quieter than any other mitre saw I've seen and very low vibration.
Cuts are beautifully smooth. Extraction is above average too. I've fitted mine to the DeWalt stand intended for their portable table saw.

kevinlightfoot":u88zs2pp said:
Can anyone recommend an accurate chop saw,I need to cut very accurate mitres

Plenty of professional cabinet makers use a disc sander for mitres. Even cheap disc sanders can deliver impeccable mitres with a bit of care in the set up (start by junking the fence that comes with it and instead use a piece of dead straight hardwood carefully cramped onto the disc sander's table). There's just one problem with this arrangement, there's no stop to govern the length of the mitred component, so you're either creeping up on a perfect fit or you're working to a knife line.

I agree with Custard - in the absence of a guillotine (which I don't have) I find for work that needs a really accurate set of mitres (eg picture frame) my disk sander is the best tool. I do have a Bosch GDL 12 chop saw - which is excellent. I bought it because it has a far bigger capacity than the Festool. It is accurate enough to do frames.

kevinlightfoot":4pdntc54 said:
Can anyone recommend an accurate chop saw,I need to cut very accurate mitres,I have amakita chop saw but not as accurate as I would like,I know that I could fine tune with a plane but I am looking at accuracy straight from the saw.The cost isn't that important just looking for the best.

According to how big the section you are cutting is, a picture framers guillotine will give the most accurate results straight off the bed, even if the section is too big to cut in one go, trimming the face with the guillotine will still be the most accurate way.

Mike

I have a Stayer (non sliding) saw - it's fully adjustable - meaning no preset lock points for angles - so once I adjust it, it stays very accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

One thing i find about a chopsaw accuracy is the blades need to be really sharp to make perfect(ish) cuts. The blades seem to stay ok for a long time after this. Good enough for second fix. But the sweet spot for accuracy is quite narrow.

I'd concur on the sharp blades, plus the cut can still be easy and without scorching but the finish also gradually gets worse and worse till you start seeing tear out

Back