Chop saw recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I am considering buying a new chop saw. My ancient and trusty Elu is fine but only has an 8" blade and I need to be able to cut at least 4" depth consistently and accurately. No need for width greater than 12". Mostly cutting oak and other hardwoods.

I had a larger chop saw but it has been "borrowed" by offspring and is presently in Holland where he is doing an air frrame project at uni. Experience of stuff that he borrows is that I rarely see it again.

Any recommendation for a decent quality chop saw. By decent quality I mean no play in it, repeatable accuracy and probably a 305mm blade. Mitre cuts necessary of course. Sensible dust extraction would be a help.

A bit less size than you really want, and not new either, but if you want accuracy and a bargain, maybe look for the Makita LS1013 sliding compound, plenty used and in good condition around. I got one on here and am extremely impressed by its precision and its ease of use.
I use a 260mm Freud blade - spot on cuts every time.

I have the big Bosch and can't fault it, really. OK the depth stop for trenching is a bit soft, but everything else is excellent. Decent DX too. All the controls for bevel and mitre are at the front, so there is no reaching round the back.

The only real downside is the price...

Matt beat me!

I have a Makita LS1018 which is the replacement model of the LS1013 that Nick mentioned. It meets your requirements and can be had for a little over £320. I've had mine for a couple of years and am chuffed to bits with it.

Dewalt DW780 has seen me right going through 4" sleepers in one go. Trenching stop is there but is by no means precise to get setup initially. Older reviews did mention about the rails being prone to sticking but never had any problem there. Dust collection isn't the best but I think that's partly down to the size of hose on my CT Midi. I've used it to make most of my freestanding kitchen cupboards and never had a problem with accuracy / repeatability. Mitre stops are good and can be overridden and locked down tight. Mechanical bevel stops at a few key angles are there. The bevel lock-off knob, while big and easy to get hold of, is round the back so getting free angles locked off perhaps isn't the easiest with only two hands (I bought a digital magnetic angle jobby which helps greatly there). The fence is very substantial with mounting points for sacrificial fences and can be removed for extra crosscut capacity. A solid performer is how I'd call it.

My main gripe is the clearance space needed to the rear which is where the Bosch / Kapex win hands down.

AJB you didn't mention budget, as you know what green chop saw no one has mentioned yet ;-)

edit: just realised someone has right above this comment..

the green one wont give you a 4" cut
I think is 88mm max to arbour
it has a special feature to cut behind blade but wont help for the above
Steve

Good point Steve. I forgot it was only 88mm.

I don't think the Makita LS1018 mentioned above can do 4 inch either?

i'd choose the dewalt if it were me needing to do what you describe.
if you didn't need the 100mm depth of cut then i'd say festool kapex but its the most expensive by a country mile
there are great deals for the dewalt online, I'd also recommend their long mitre saw stand as its a nice substantial stand with good supports either side.

+1 for the Makita LS1013, I've had one for years, superb piece of kit.

I have the LS1214, larger brother of the 1013, has a big cutting capacity, about 4"x12" if i recollect correctly. Picked it up in a pretty beaten up state from GumTree, found it to be very user serviceable and happy with the performance since cleaning it up.

Pretty sure my LS1013 cuts 12"x4" and as mentioned is a superb saw. Pity they stopped making them as by all accounts, the newer models aint as good.

Hmmm. I had a look in Axminster today. The Bosh is nearly £700 plus the very complicated table. Cutting depth is 105mm which is quite a bit less than the big Makita which is around £100 cheaper and has a 15" width of cut and 115mm / 6" depth (I know, mixed systems). Bosch has super smooth action with a sort of clever cantilever system - but I suspect that accounts for the extra weight.

Shop staff said the Bosch is very heavy to lift for one man on his own. On-line reviews pretty good, with some issues with the laser.
On-line reviews of the Makita are very mixed - lots of complaints about accuracy of fences and blade alignment. Good ones are very good, others are awful and service department is apparently unhelpful. The Makita table is much better than the Bosch. Both are around £200

The Festool is not capable of cutting 4" depth. I can't see how the price of over £800 is justified.

DeWalt has no laser (the lighting system delivers a shadow instead) and it looks a bit more basic, with a lot of room taken up behind the saw. It is quite an old design now.

On line reviews suggest the 305mm Milwaukee, which has a digital mitre gauge and alleged repeatable accuracy to a tenth of a degree. However, I have not seen one.

Still pondering and will check out the used stuff suggested.

i was going to go for the bosch, but the weight put me off
I couldn't see me lifting that up to take outside
the festool is crazy money..I got it anyway for the fact it has great warranty, accuracy and is lightweight
but as said no good for what you want

good luck in your search

Steve

If it's worth anything, I purchased a makita 1018 and returned it. I may have got a lemon, but it was really poorly made, wobbly on stops and completely innacurate. The dx was terrible too.

I looked at the Bosch but it was too heavy and I didn't really need the bigger blade. In the end bought the Festool and am very happy, it is a super saw. Very accurate, great dx, a pleasure to use. I love the angle finder and double lasers too. Long since forgotten about the price.

I forgot about the light on the Dewalt. It's very good IMO. Maybe not up to the laser on the Festool but nuts on none the less.

I can't see any 12"er being in the light weight department. Mine is about 27kg which I can handle carting around though.

One thing Izzy Swanson said about the Bosch was the hold down clamp was rubbish. The stock one that comes with the Dewalt takes forever but there's a branded one (for the 718 if I mind right) that's tip top with a quick release and a big knob to crank down on. Ooh er missus ;)

AJB Temple":1u4p5m43 said:
The Festool is not capable of cutting 4" depth. I can't see how the price of over £800 is justified.

Combination of weight, size, accuracy? and dust extraction. Shame it's only 88mm though, and the price.

Back