Choosing a 7" vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently decided that it's time to say goodbye to the old ikea table that I've been using to date and build myself a decent bench.
I would be grateful for some ad-Vise =D> on choosing the 7" vise.
My current options are:
Dick (Non-QR)
Axi (QR)
Eclipse (QR)
9" QR Dakota (Rutlands)

As much as I'd like a 7" Dick =D> , I'll need to come up with another 100 EUR of tools to order to get the free delivery - that might be problematic to get past SWMBO. It's not QR, but it's definitely the best looking out of all of them.
Eclipse seem to have Paul Sellers' approval and Dakota looks like the best value out of all of them, but fitting the 9" will be a pain as it just doesn't fit well enough into my current bench build. They do get cracking reviews on Rutlands though =D> .

So, based on your experience, would you recommend any of the above and is the Dakota worth a punt?

PS Old records seem to be priced as if they were made out of gold (but why are they so damn rusty then?) and I am not very keen to go hunting for them.

Thank you.

I bought the "Spear and Jackson" 9" vice off amazon - about 80 quid and brand new. Had it 4 months (replacing a cheap 7" vice) and it is perfect in my view . There is a 7" version for a few quid less.

was very tempted by an old record in ebay but it went for £70 - so too much hassle to refurb it against the new cost.

The 9" from Rutlands is fine and good value and I've installed one recently. The casting is a bit sharp on the edges, but for the price it's had to find fault.

I had a QR vice and It turned out to be a real pain in the a&$e. Would spring open when tightening up and drop the workpiece on the floor. It was a knock off copy of a record likely made in China. So if you do want QR then get a good brand. The rusty old records may be gold after all. When I made a new bench a few years back I decided to get a simple vice screw as nothing can go wrong with that.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... e-ax968364
QR is nice when it works.
Regards
John

I fixed up a rusty old Record - I'd never used quick release before so was surprised by how often I used it, if I had to get a new vice, a quick release mechanism would be one of my priorities.

the eclipse ones are good, I've got the 9" one, bought new from amazon, I would imagine the 7" is the same high quality,

regards, Ben.

Back