Chippie's Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip shop

Established Member
Reaction score
So... just before Christmas my Cousin's better half mentioned to me that they had some tools, belonging to his recently deceased Dad, that they needed to get shut of. With me being 'in trade' they may have thought that the usual collection of manky adjustable spanners and junior hacksaws would be right up my street.

A couple of days ago I went to have a look. This is pretty much what I found:

V8qMHi4.jpg

Metal bench planes:

uN0Vl8Q.jpg

Shaves and braces:

yjBrqE4.jpg

Marking gauges:

mMG0Buo.jpg

A box of woodies that I haven't really sorted through yet, but most of them are missing irons:

x04Jf77.jpg

Some chisels:

oVxJpbO.jpg

And my favourite tool in the whole collection:

EpRk4LZ.jpg

Wow, what a fantastic collection!
Do you have similar tools already or are these new to you? Were you thinking of getting into hand tool woodworking?
If so, you'll be well set up with that lot.

And it's nice to see that those old chisels really were "good to the last inch!"

AndyT":1zskepni said:
Were you thinking of getting into hand tool woodworking?

Only Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 17:00 :D

Soz, perhaps I was being a little facetious. I'm not thinking of getting into woodwork, I'm there already!

I didn't put that very well...
I can see from some of your posts that you are a professional tradesman, but for some people that means never using a tool without an electric motor on it. I wasn't sure where your preferences lie.

Chip shop":2pkkzp00 said:
AndyT":2pkkzp00 said:
Were you thinking of getting into hand tool woodworking?

Only Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 17:00 :D

Soz, perhaps I was being a little facetious. I'm not thinking of getting into woodwork, I'm there already!
There's goes my chances of convincing you 'you've been had mate and I'll take that old tat off your hands to do you a favour even though I'll be cuttin' me own froat at 30 notes mate.'
:D

Nice large infill shoulder plane, nice newish woody-handled screwdrivers.

The backsaws are a bit of a motley bunch!

Missing brace bits and woody plough irons.

Needs a wee bit of TLC, otherwise that's a damn fine haul!

Friends and family clearouts can be hit or miss, yours was certainly a hit!

I have been lucky enough to "inherit" several workshops worth of tools over the last 10 years or so. 90% of it is either fit for the bin or something I already own a similar or better version of. The duplicates or un wanted tools have all been donated to friends or charities etc. Every workshop though has always had a handful of really superb bits of kit, usually stuff you never expected them to own.

A fantastic range there - I like the replacement knobs on the block planes - if you get a chance, let us know how they feel to use.

Cheers,

Carl

AndyT":1yvloubj said:
I didn't put that very well...
I can see from some of your posts that you are a professional tradesman, but for some people that means never using a tool without an electric motor on it. I wasn't sure where your preferences lie.

Hi Andy,

No worries. I must admit that I rely on machinery for the heavy lifting, but I really enjoy the hand tool element of wood working. Up until now I've survived with 3 bench planes...of which two where given to me by my Dad (No 4 and No 5 Record) and one I bought(QS LA Jack) when I was feeling depressed and perhaps had one too many down the local.

I now have some duplication, so I was thinking it might be kinda fun to share some the the gear. I'd like to keep hold of the No 7, but apart from that everything else is fair game. So, if it's not against forum rules, I'd like to start a thing:

If there's a piece of kit on the bench you fancy:

Make a post stating your interest

The next (couple) of post(s) should quote the above with an approximate valuation.

We'll agree and then the 'customer' will make the contribution to their chosen charity, and I'll send the tool out. This is all for fun, and Ill cover postage.

I'm kind of aware that this might turn into a Dungshow, but I think in the main the userbase on UKW is pretty grown up so I'm going to risk it. BTW the Narex chisels on the back of the bench are not in on the deal :D

You should keep hold of that infill shoulder plane, its the most valuable one and the most useful.

Pete

I certainly echo the comments about generosity! However, I agree with Pete; most of those tools would make decent users given a bit of love, but aren't really worth a lot individually. I'm no expert on infills, but even I know they're sought after if in decent condition, which that one looks to be.

Maybe make an exception for that one, and perhaps return the yield to your cousin.

Also, if you don't mind the suggestion, ask recipients to cover postage costs. There could be a few parcels there, and neither packing materials nor postage costs are trivial these days. It could tot up!

Damn fine gesture, though! I commend you, sir.

...but I kinda have all the tools I need, and I don't want this lot stuck in a box kicking 'round the workshop for ever. Andrew (the guy that gave me them) was convinced that his Dad would have wanted them used, so come on; roll up, roll up, roll up, someone make an offer on something . The Stanley bench planes are well used but there's no pitting worth a damn. I'm not saying you have give eBay prices to whatever charity, just whatever you can afford. As an incentive I'll sharpen the iron on the first plane off the peg.

I'm interested in the 405 and the wooden handled screwdrivers but I'd be happier if you said how much.

Out of interest, what are the two bits in the small central wooden boxes? Are they part of the record or something else entirely?

I don't want to be greedy, I have few tools as I'm just starting woodworking but I'd certainly appreciate a couple of marking gauges, a sliding bevel and one of the Stanley planes. To be honest I'd take chisels, saws, planes, spokeshaves etc .. but as I say, don't want to be greedy and really I have no idea on pricing, so could do with some help there too.

Oh, I think the going rate on that vice is around £50.

Back