chip /dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonboy2003

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a "reasonably" quiet extractor? I need one for my small workshop. I have researched many types like camvac, workshop vacuums etc etc but none give a decibel factor and a continuous run time. I know many use sound proof boxes and the like, but heat build up is an obvious factor. I would be grateful for any views or ideas, thanks, Tony.

Most of the larger chip extractors run on induction motors which are quieter than the universal motors found in vacuum cleaners. Mine is a 2hp ActiveAir and it’s certainly much quieter than the machines it extracts from (planer thicknesser and table saw).

If its efficient, it wont be quiet.
But any equipment can be easily put inside a noise reducing cabinet, to the point of only being able to hear the air whistling down the pipe.
there are many examples on utube, from the works of art to the mundane.

If you get something with an induction motor rather than a universal motor (so a dust extractor rather than a vacuum to broadly split those categories) then it shouldn't be too noisy. I have the FM300BC from Axminster and although I wouldn't want it on constantly, it is entirely bearable when it's in use for relatively short periods. With ear defenders on I almost can't hear the extractor. And as previously said, your noisy machines will drown out the extractor.

Plus 1+ for the Numatic NV750. This is a very quiet and efficient machine. Only use mine for hand tools and small machines (chop saw, disc sander etc) but very impressed. I guess it depends on use and budget.

Back