Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Mark A
finish_that wrote:Following up on this after mine arived next day after order.
Not used in anger yet too busy and working weekends:
- Makita copy
- Small print manual but detailed
- Rubber handgrip not perfectly fitted and some glue overspill
- Collet 1/4" and well finished
- No soft start
- Absolutely no vibration
- Variable speed works well

Thanks for the update! For a long time I've liked the idea of a small router (my only other router is a Dewalt 625) but the cost has always been preventive.

For the price it's certainly worth a try.

Cheers,
Mark
By JSW
Had one of these delivered a couple of days back. http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101748-6mm-1- ... -220v.html

Free delivery and arrived within 24 hours. I was extremely sceptical about buying a clone of a Makita, but I have to say, this thing is extremely well made.

Compared to my old Makita 3703 it's ridiculously quiet, (the 3703 screams) loads of power, variable speed, plenty of accessories including a dust extraction fitting. All in all it's a real pleasure to use, how long it lasts is debatable, although it comes with a spare set of brushes, which I'm not sure is good or bad??

Oh, the accessories, bearing guide, fence etc all fit the old Makita also.

Aimtools also have some more accessories available, tilting base which I have to get for £14.74, and a full plunge base for £28.49.

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you guys, hope it's of interest!
By MikeJhn
Well its now October and I have used my Katsu in anger over the last few months, what a bargain bit of kit it is, it just works, nothing spectacular but works as it should, the tilting base is very handy for odd shapes, used it to plunge some holes at odd angles using the depth adjuster, highly recommended for the price, and its still available on the link above.

Mike
By curtisrider
There are two versions of the clone router, one with a plastic body and clear base and one with a half metal body and metal/black plastic base. Which is the preferred model? The clear base makes the most sense for visibility and is cheapest by a few quid yet the metal version makes sense for overall strength I would imagine. Are the bases between each inter compatible?
By MikeJhn
Never seen this router with a plastic body, have you a link?

Mike
By Geordie Joe
MikeJhn wrote:Link to the full kit: http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101749-katsu- ... -700w.html ordered about 10 mins ago, will let everyone know when it arrives.

Mike

What do you get with the full kit?

Unless I am missing something, the full kit is the trimmer, plunge base and tilt base for £83.99

But buying the three items separately it only comes to £60.58.
By Wizard9999
Geordie Joe wrote:
MikeJhn wrote:Link to the full kit: http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101749-katsu- ... -700w.html ordered about 10 mins ago, will let everyone know when it arrives.

Mike

Unless I am missing something, the full kit is the trimmer, plunge base and tilt base for £83.99

And according to the description you only get one collet with the set, but two with the router bought on its own. Something not right about their listing I suspect, must be more in the set than they are quoting in the description.

Terry.
By Geordie Joe
Wizard9999 wrote:
Geordie Joe wrote:

Mike

And according to the description you only get one collet with the set, but two with the router bought on its own. Something not right about their listing I suspect, must be more in the set than they are quoting in the description.

Terry.

Good point about the collet, I had assumed that the full set would be 3 boxes, trimmer, plunge and tilt base put into 1 bigger box and posted out. Therefore everything in the trimmer bought on it's own would also be in the full set.

The problem is their web site is not big on descriptions of the items. I suspect they just buy in the boxes and copy whatever text is on the box without ever knowing what the item in the box is, or what it is used for.
By pollys13
Obviously it pays to shop around..... is also quite........ a lot of fun..... saving money. Money saved, is money earned and can be spent on something else.
A fool and his money are soon parted :)