Cheapest 100mm cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Just ordered a Rutlands DK7109 to go with my table saw, a cyclone would be nice too. Anyone know of a cheap 100mm unit?

Just wish they were still around. Wasn't looking forward to the assembly but the reports were very very good and really wanted one.

I have one of those small cheap Chinese cyclones which is OK but has 50mm ports so suction is reduced dramatically.

MikeJhn":30q9tg3p said:
First question is why do you think you need a cyclone?

Mike

For me it's the amount of bag emptying. I use a Clarke 'portable' dust and chip extractor so the inlet on the bag is smaller than the bag itself. I dedicated this extractor to my table saw and it's doing a good job with the cheap cyclone in place. I must have emptied the 60L barrel below the cyclone more than ten times and there's hardly any dust in the bag. However, there's still some inside the table saw so I'd suspect going to a 100mm cyclone will solve this?

For a given air flow Increasing the diameter will decrease the air flow (Bernoulli's Equation), so I doubt the dust inside the table saw will be sucked out by reducing the extract air flow, perhaps a couple of baffles inside the saw to direct the saw dust from the blade to the extract point may be more efficient, do you have a zero clearance insert around the blade? as this would increase the airflow inside the casing, I assume the casing is enclosed and not open to atmosphere?

Mike

I know from experience that cyclone make the DE system more efficient and cheaper to run in the long term.

Once the dust and debris is in the duct its going somewhere, it does not matter if its swirled about a bit or not, a cyclone will only maintain max efficiency of the system for longer it will not increase its efficiency, also be aware that a cyclone can not be used with a collection bag for the debris which IMO negates its use-fullness as you will be exposed when emptying to the dust you was trying to avoid, however there are plenty of plans on the web of how to make one, the best being: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclon ... e_plan.cfm

Mike

I know it doesn't make the air flow or anything better, in fact it reduces it. But it does stop the filter from clogging so I maintain good flow for a lot longer and I don't need to replace the filter or clean it out very often.

MikeJhn":1xgh44ai said:
For a given air flow Increasing the diameter will decrease the air flow (Bernoulli's Equation), so I doubt the dust inside the table saw will be sucked out by reducing the extract air flow, perhaps a couple of baffles inside the saw to direct the saw dust from the blade to the extract point may be more efficient, do you have a zero clearance insert around the blade? as this would increase the airflow inside the casing, I assume the casing is enclosed and not open to atmosphere?

Mike

I don't have a zero clearance insert but certainly will look into that.

The table saw I have at the moment is just a site saw as my shed is that small I need to be able to move it around now and then. I'd love to get a proper workshop and have a static cast table saw. Some day eh...

I got a separator bin lid from the tool post, added this to a 120litre drum situated outside the workshop and my chip extractor waste bag now only ever has very fine dust in it, I was surprised at just how efficient this was for around £20

MikeJhn":22imqf33 said:
do you have a zero clearance insert around the blade? as this would increase the airflow inside the casing, I assume the casing is enclosed and not open to atmosphere?

Mike

I have made a zero clearance insert for the table saw and it has improved quite a bit. Also less dust coming back up onto the table. I don't use the blade guard with suction as I find it being in the way.

Still have the riving knife which made making the insert take a little longer than expected making it on the router table rather than the table saw and raising the blade through the insert.

Thanks Mike.

Not sure how easy it will be to fit a zero clearance insert on my table saw though I will have a go. Actual dust collection is not a massive issue, I have solved most of those problems and the collection is now very impressive. I am just concerned with the dust extractor itself and preserving the filtration and suction levels.

It's such a shame that there really don't appear to be cheap options like there are for the shop vac sized units. They are about £15 now which is much cheaper than when I bought my Dust Deputy.

I have a 100 mm cyclone which I don't need...... but shipping costs would kill the deal.

Anyway I suppose farmers in your contry too used small portable mills to grind grain for animal feed in the 70-ies and some models had a suitable cyclone

Check out J Phil Thien's baffle approach. http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm Many videos on Youtube of (mainly) US woodworkers building one.

Having just purchased a 100mm dust collector, I'm looking at making a Thien Baffle using flexible MDF (hopefully not rained on - see my first ever post) and mostly Manrose ducting components - cheaper than those from Axminster, Charnwood, etc.

Latest posts

Back