Changing dust extraction location on bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachcricket

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have the dust extraction around the blade rather than down at the bottom of the lower cabinet. The port seems to be restricted by a plate for some reason? and I wonder whether introducing the suction sooner will be more effective.

Space is limited under the bandsaw table and before I go to the trouble of making something, is it worth the time or will there always be dust collecting in the cabinet?

CIMG3226.jpg

CIMG3223.jpg

CIMG3224.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure where I've seen it, but someone has done just what yo are suggesting, using PVC plumbing pipe. As with any machine, the sooner you can catch the stuff (i.e. the closest you can get to where it is produced) the more effective you are likely to be. You've certainly got room between the table and the lower bearing guides to mount a pipe, say 50mm dia.
Let us know how you get on.
S

I don't recognise the pics, but yes, it is that very same idea. I think his problem there might well have been that she was using a DX machine rather than a shop vac. HVLP vs LVHP and all that.
One thing to consider with this type of mod is how it will cope with table tilt. I can see such a mod accidentally kinking the blade if the table is tilted whilst the tube is around the blade.
S

I've got a 63mm square to round guttering adaptor under the table on my Startrite 352 idea provided by a thread on here which I can't find. Suggest that a few basic measurements are taken and then off to the plumbers merchants.

Don't forget plumbing pipe and fittings can be re-shaped after heating with a hot air gun if things don't fit perfectly.

Sorry should have said it works brilliantly. Very little finds it's way through to the floor.

I have changed the position of the extraction on my Hammer but before you do that. I have never seen a cover plate over an extraction port can you remove it?

I have the same sort of plate on my sip bandsaw,not sure if its to restrict the airflow or increase it,, either way the actual dust extraction is pants.

Peter Sefton":2qtkis2u said:
I have changed the position of the extraction on my Hammer but before you do that. I have never seen a cover plate over an extraction port can you remove it? Also keeping the flexible extraction pipe as short as possible will improve the air flow can you shorten and straighten it.

I recently purchased a Record BS and it had the extraction port blocked off on the inside. When I asked about it I was told HSE requirements to stop you putting your hand / fingers in to the blade whilst machine running. As my 14 year old son said if anybody was stupid enough to put their hand into a dust port on a running machine then they deserve all the get :!:

It's come to something when a 14 year old has a better understanding of how to do things than the so called "experts". By the way Peter I have just shown him your comment and he was chuffed!

We had a very narrow escape on this very point about 20 years ago. There were 4 or 5 of us in the workshop and one of the lads 9 year old niece was there they'd just popped in on the way to somewhere. Everyone got to talking except one guy who was using the bandsaw. I glanced down during the chat and there she was, by the bandsaw, with her hand in the dust port 'helping' the sawdust out while the machine was still running. Still makes my flesh creep to think of it. We didn't have extraction on that machine, of course, or there wouldn't have been a problem.

Thank you for the responses.

I think I'll have to have a go and see if it helps. The plate is just a nuisance and needs to go, I totally agree with your son Charlie.

Thought I'd update what I've ended up doing, not perfect but a lot better. I tried building a box but it was a nightmare fitting it in and making sure it was secure. Instead I bought a 100mm to 50mm hose reducer from Axminster.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hose-reducers--plastic-prod827548/

This was attached to the extraction pipe and a 40mm flexible waste pipe from B&Q on the other of the end created this.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Not sure how I attach it, perhaps magnets or even good old duct tape. The suction is good but could be improved with a proper 50mm extraction pipe, it will do for now though and for £7 all in I can't complain.

Peter Sefton":3fwrnf5t said:
I have changed the position of the extraction on my Hammer

That's interesting, any chance of a photo? Did it make an improvement?

I use a Hammer N4400 with skip tooth blades and a Felder RL125 extractor, I'm reasonably pleased with dust extraction on this machine.

Peter Sefton":3lb9pd0a said:
I have changed the position of the extraction on my Hammer but before you do that. I have never seen a cover plate over an extraction port can you remove it? Also keeping the flexible extraction pipe as short as possible will improve the air flow can you shorten and straighten it.

Peter I also use the same hammer bandsaw any chance of a photo

Hi a couple of photos of my modifications, I should say I never had an issue with dust from the Bandsaw when it was connected to an old NU tool extractor that you may see in the background. Only when I had too move machines around to fit in the new Felder A741 Surface planer. I then put the Numatic on the Bandsaw and it’s just not really man enough.
I need to use a low level (short) extractor as it’s a bit in the middle of the machine shop and too involved to be piped up to a bigger system.
The new 100mm extraction outlet is off a felder Bandsaw and is fine but I have made a plywood slope inside the bandsaw body to assist the extractor. The Numatic just passes the LEV test but only just so if anybody has any suggestions for a better small extractor that is not too tall max 900mm please say so.
Cheers Peter

Attachments

• Bandsaw1 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw1 (640x480).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Bandsaw2 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw2 (640x480).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Bandsaw3 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw3 (640x480).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,175

Latest posts