Cedar Cladding Finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weegaz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Had a read over previous threads and some very informative information on this site.

I saw a post by RogerM with regard to Sikkens HLS and top coat, which is the product I am proposing to use on my cedar cladding at home.

The cedar has been installed approx 18 moths and hasn't had any treatment at all, its a new build house and we have been busy elsewhere and neglected it. Its now really grey and doesn't look so good against the white render on our house.

My wife and I loved the look when first installed and where told to treat it, but we are where we are now unfortunately.

I have been looking at the Sikkens HLS Light Oak as a good stain to offer a good treatment and bring the timbers back to their former glory.

Has anyone any advice?

Will sanding before applying be of any benefit with regard to bring the original colour out?

Thanks in advance guys

I've used Sikkens quite a bit outside and so far I've been quite impressed but not used the product you mention itself.

A quick sand will bring it back to a nice brown fairly easily - how you keep it that way I'm afraid I don't know. Do wear a proper mask when sanding cedar though its a known irritant.

At this stage to revive the Cedar will take a huge effort, and, having applied any finish you will become a slave to it, UV and weathering will continue to take its toll.

Back