Casting characters/letters on Lever Caps and Frogs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but accurately dating a plane, if such a thing is possible, will depend on a number of factors, not just the the lever caps and frogs. The most comprehensive dating study I have seen is on USA made Stanleys. I’m not sure if such detailed studies are available for other makes and types. Perhaps you could add a bit more detail to your question?

ZippityNZ":26vn5g93 said:
Is there a logical trail or date sequence that can be gleaned from the characters/letters/numbers that are cast on some lever caps and frogs?

It's normal practice, where similar items are made from sets of similar patterns, to identify the individual patterns by reference numbers.

If a fault is found on a finished item, it may well be necessary to look again at other castings from that same individual pattern.

So, without the records from the manufacturer, these numbers are unlikely to reveal much.

A letter code might be linked to a subcontractor foundry. Discussion on here before has suggested that Q might mean Qualcast and SIF Suffolk Iron Founders.

Here's an example of what I am talking about.

Both of these cap levers are from Stanley "Made in England" No 3 planes.

Attachments

• #3levercaplettering.jpg
    #3levercaplettering.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 255
I think it would be fair to say that nobody actually knows. But we can speculate :!:

The letters either side look like "Q" & "C" which will almost certainly be for Qualcast, the foundry that did the castings for Stanley (I think they originally used JA Chapman's foundry, as some early UK Stanleys appear to have different detail - but changed to Qualcast within a few years).

The "8" & "2" are likely to be pattern identifying numbers (as Andy suggests).

The strange markings above the "2" ("X1"?) - your guess is as good as mine.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back