Can you ID this chuck, please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staley

Reaction score
Hello all :)
I collected my new Union Graduate yesterday, which came with a host of bits and pieces in tatty old boxes, all of which had been sitting collecting dust and developing delicate layers of rust over the last few years.
Among the goodies were a lovely chunky no.36 Jacob's chuck, an equally-chunky Stronghold scroll chuck... and this chuck, which has no identification on it. No words, no part numbers, no nothing. So I'm hoping that someone here can identify it for me, please.
Bearing in mind that I've only been turning for a year and I'm only used to the SC4 on my old lathe, this one looks completely alien to me, to be honest. The main silver body unscrews completely from a huge insert inside and the jaws, which seem to float inside the main body, are like nothing I've seen before. In fact I'm not even sure how they're supposed to work...
If this kind of info is useful, it measures 2.75" high by 3.75" dia.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :p

chuck1.jpg

chuck2.jpg

chuck3.jpg

Attachments

• chuck1.jpg
    chuck1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 826
  • chuck2.jpg
    chuck2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 825
  • chuck3.jpg
    chuck3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 825
Thanks, Nev. I'm working on the theory that it might be a Multistar chuck of some sort so I've emailed some folks over in Germany to see if they can shed any more light on it.

Turns out that this is a Masterchuck and has been out of production for 10 years. Now, to find instructions on how to use the thing...

It looks like a Craft Supplies Maxigrip chuck. I remember they did that and a smaller Minigrip. whichI had with a small lathe i used to own.
The jaws have a short range of movement by running in a tapered slot in the chuck body. There were additionals jaws of different sizes which could be screwed to the front face of the base jaws. Hence the extra threaded holes in the jaw faces and the slots. They work in both contraction and expansion modes.

Hi Paul - I think you're right, thank you. It looks like I've been given duff information. There are very few pictures that I can find but the few which do show the Maxigrip chuck look identical to the one I have.
Although the jaws on the Masterchuck shown in the instruction manual linked by nev look the same there are too many differences in the main body.
Now... to find instructions on how to use the Maxigrip... ;)

Back