Can anyone identify this 'gauge'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Image00001.jpg

This gauge has holes numbered from 1 to 80. The diameter of the'1' hole is about 6mm, the '20' hole about 4mm and the '64' hole about 1mm.

It is at least 50 years old; it was used by my grandfather, who I believe worked at a engineering patternmaker.

Does anyone know what this was used for measuring?

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 727
I don't know, but at a guess it looks like a gauge for measuring the diameter of wire and rods - is it marked "SWG"? (That's Standard Wire Gauge, the old Imperial method of sizing wire and thinner rods - also for thin sheet metal, but I don't see any multi slots for that purpose).

Beyond that, I think I'm stumped

There is nothing on the gauge apart from the numbers by the holes on the front, and the word ENGLAND on the back. I've looked at the SWG and AWG tables, and the numbers don't seem to be anywhere near the appropriate sizes.

OK, thanks. I don't think I have any other ideas, sorry, If something does come to mind I'll have another go! What's the prize for the right answer? :D

If you are sure that it cannot be related to Standard Wire Gauge my next guess would be numbered drills, but as I don't have my Zeus book to hand I can't check.

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of Number series drills. For the info of the OP, there's a Letters series also (as I'm sure Wiki has already toldyou)

If you look for a Zeus engineering book it will show the sizes of the drills in mm or imperial. The four sets of drill sizes give an almost infinite range of holes.
Sent you a PM, i hope.

Nope, cant find out how to send a PM in this new forum get up. If you can find out how to PM me and i will send a PDF of the Zeus book

hawkeyefxr":tyu10v8s said:
Nope, cant find out how to send a PM in this new forum get up. If you can find out how to PM me and i will send a PDF of the Zeus book
If you're still reading this thread, this post should sort you out.

Back