Can anybody help? I know what I want but cannot find it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plodmore

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the rapid hits for tips and ideas. I am new to all of this and cannot quite get my head around why some of the simplest things are not fitted as standard across the board.

I have swapped out my Ferm pinned blade holder for a slightly modified Axminster clamp (rationale covered in earlier posts). The final alterations I would really like to make are;

1. To replace the 4mm clamp bolts (the one that shuts the clamp) with a thumbturn or wing bolt like you see on the Excaliber videos. If anybody knows where I can get a couple I would appreciate it. All I can seem to find are metric 4mm threads and not (as I believe these to be) machine thread.

2. To replace the 8mm tensioning bolt with the same sort of thing.

These 2 simple upgrades will make changing blades and setting the tension piece of cake (I know the latter is a bit petty but trying to flip over the existing tensioner with the guard in place is a pain)

regards
Andrew

Better still, adapt the holders to accept a thin quick-release off a bike wheel, like a poor version of the Quickset clamps on Delta scrollsaws. Why settle for a Hegner-a-like thumbscrew?

I like the idea but do they do 4mm? I tried to get a good old fashioned wing nut and longer bolt but failed on the wing nut side of the plan.

Plodmore":3903wzi7 said:
I like the idea but do they do 4mm?

They do, but 5mm are easier to find.

I'd drill out the blade holders to 5mm.

Cut the skewer to length, get a 5mm die and cut a new thread on the cut end of the skewer.

Job done.

Thanks all. Tensioner sorted. Quick trip to tip and salvaged a captured nut handle from an old lawn mower. Drilled out the captured M8 nut thread and machine bolt fitted beautifully. Drilled through side of handle and pinned tesioner in place. Works a treat. Will do the same for clamps.

regards
Andrew

Was bemoaning fate with one of my technicians and he offered 2 suggestions. Pass him a sketch and he would 3D print one or I could have the ones on the old music stand behind me...... :shock:

Off to try recyled bits whilst he is away happy with my rough sketch.

regards
Andrew

Latest posts

Back