C&G Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_5732C.jpg
IMG_5733C.jpg
One of the planes I bought last Saturday. I’m intrigued by the method of construction. Presumably the “C&G” stamp means City & Guilds of London Institute. I wonder if the plane was for the use of the students or else made by one of them?

Attachments

• IMG_5733C.jpg
    IMG_5733C.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_5732C.jpg
    IMG_5732C.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_5731C.jpg
    IMG_5731C.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_5730C.jpg
    IMG_5730C.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_5729C.jpg
    IMG_5729C.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 687
Well that's an oddity.
It doesn't make sense as a means of construction - there's still a normal mortice in the wide part, so no time was saved by having the screwed-on side.
So my guess is that it's a neat and tidy repair, where some hamfisted student has broken one of the thin cheeks of the top of the mortice.

I'd also think that C&G were the owner - makers never put their names on twice.

I have a vague recollection (and I'm damned if I can remember where I saw it) of seeing that method of construction suggested as an alternative simplified method, the advantage being that the whole 'mortice' can be defined by two sawcuts, and the waste removed rather like a through housing. The 'mortice' is then closed by screwing on the cheek-piece exactly as the example in the photos.

Speculating - could it have been an advanced City and Guilds cabinetmaking exercise sometime in the early 20th century? Something along the lines of 'here's how to improvise a moulding plane if you can't obtain a proper one in a hurry'?

Edit to add - Found it! Hayward's 'How to Make Woodwork Tools', page 16.

http://www.toolemera.com/bkpdf/haywardhowtobk.pdf

CC, Ithink I can see a horizontal line on the end of the plane, level with the rebate, so that sawn method of construction isn't what we have here, is it RXH?
So there was no saving in mortising effort.

Thanks Andy and CC. I suspect that the sawn method has been used and I think it must be easier than making a mortice by chiseling alone. This German plane seems to have been made in a rather similar way.

Attachments

• IMG_3335C.jpg
    IMG_3335C.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_3336C.jpg
    IMG_3336C.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 630
Here is a close up of the end of the C&G plane.

Attachments

• IMG_5738C.jpg
    IMG_5738C.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 621
Doh!
I wasn't thinking straight. Ignore my burbling on this one. :oops:

Looking at the first image posted. I don't see continuity of grain into the 'added' piece, this is to be expected. However I don't see continuity of grain on the other side of the joint either. The other end seems to be as expected.
Could be my eyes of course.
xy

Back