By the grace of Colin a lidded bowl for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
So here is version 2 of the May entry! ](*,)

This 'lidded bowl' is made of two kinds of walnut. The finial is, for me, a little dumpy but then it needs to be used as a knob. One suspects that this thing will be used as a biscuit barrel.

Its 225mm (9") wide and 260mm (10.5") high to the top of the knob, its quite a chunky thing. The texture was done with the Dremel. Its finished in lacquer. I admit that in some places, the finish is a fraction 'rustic'. This has proved to be a positive thing strangely. I already have definite interest and the customer assumed it was 'antique' :D "Nah", I said, "thats me - the bowl is new"

Attachments

• 100_2147.jpg
    100_2147.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 966
  • 100_2146.jpg
    100_2146.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 966
  • 100_2144.jpg
    100_2144.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 966
  • 100_2141.jpg
    100_2141.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 966
  • 100_2137.jpg
    100_2137.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 966
certainly looks like a bowl with a lid.......... :)

I can see the attraction of the texture work - looks very well suited to the subject.

Shame the 'lid' isn't a slightly better colour match to the bowl (to my eye), but that aside I like the overall impression.

jumps":3nwe2y7m said:
certainly looks like a bowl with a lid.......... :)

I can see the attraction of the texture work - looks very well suited to the subject.

Shame the 'lid' isn't a slightly better colour match to the bowl (to my eye), but that aside I like the overall impression.
Thanks for the comment.

The colour non match is intentional!! I've done this a few times and rather like the effect. As so often happens, it looks far better in the flesh. I am however, doing an alternative lid in alternating walnut sections to see how that looks. The customer can then choose which she prefers.

Very nice work Gordon, bit a bowl does not have a lid! (unless it's a toilet bowl)

That's my own definition by the way, and I would think the way most people would imagine a bowl. If it's got a lid it's a pot or a jar or a box but definitely not a bowel. :wink:

myturn":28tihmif said:
Very nice work Gordon, bit a bowl does not have a lid! (unless it's a toilet bowl)

That's my own definition by the way, and I would think the way most people would imagine a bowl. If it's got a lid it's a pot or a jar or a box but definitely not a bowel. :wink:

Damn, I could have saved it for June then!

Mind you the lid doesn't push on so I would probably come unstuck there too.

:lol: first of all to say I like it - beaucoup!

If asked I would never call it a lidded bowl. My expectation of a lidded bowl would be like those of serving dishes with a rim extending beyond the lid. Personal view.

If asked to describe it I would agree with biscuit barrel or box. Take the post down and use it as a box entry - oops too late.

I think you are getting good items with excellent finishes. The barn has an amazingly prolific output. The variety is always interesting and I think you revel in the provocative but I think the short finial means you have missed an opportunity with Jonzjob on this one!

Wood spoiler":17twaeao said:
:lol: first of all to say I like it - beaucoup!

If asked I would never call it a lidded bowl. My expectation of a lidded bowl would be like those of serving dishes with a rim extending beyond the lid. Personal view.

If asked to describe it I would agree with biscuit barrel or box. Take the post down and use it as a box entry - oops too late.

I think you are getting good items with excellent finishes. The barn has an amazingly prolific output. The variety is always interesting and I think you revel in the provocative but I think the short finial means you have missed an opportunity with Jonzjob on this one!

Thanks for the kind words! I am having a reasonably productive period. It must be the yew encouraging me. Talking of which, I go and collect yet another whole tree of the stuff tomorrow!!!

A small selection of the last few weeks output attached. I think there are some unwashable goblets in there somewhere!

How big were the big things you needed to turn? The lathe seems to cope with big chunks of walnut OK. The blanks cleared the bed by about 1mm when doing the big dishes. maybe its because its bolted down to a really heavy bench - hardly shakes at all, even with quite out of balance bits.

John said he didn't like it without seeing it as he knew it would have a finial! Sadly, this one had to be practical so the dear lady who is going to buy it can get to her biscuits.

Attachments

• 100_2159.jpg
    100_2159.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 857
  • 100_2158.jpg
    100_2158.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 857
How big were the big things you needed to turn? The lathe seems to cope with big chunks of walnut OK. The blanks cleared the bed by about 1mm when doing the big dishes. maybe its because its bolted down to a really heavy bench - hardly shakes at all, even with quite out of balance bits.

The largest turned so far has been rough turning of 2' platter in oak, which was done at the end of the bed with external tool rest. The other stuff I am doing is upto the 16" max over the bed. You are probably right about the merits of it being bolted down to the bench as that will control the shake. I had it on the metal stand that came with it. The Jet has the heavy cast legs and the main thing I like is the variable speed on the new one.

I am pleased it is doing a turn and keeping you going. With all the fabulous Free timber you are getting you should soon be able to make your fortune and justify the lathe of choice - but until then I do take pleasure in seeing all that you are producing on the Sealey

johnny.t.":huvcbuct said:
Thats a box Gordon!!! A nice selection of pieces in the pics 8)
Oh well,

I admit defeat.

My May entry will incontravertically, unprovocatively, indubitubly, probably be a round thing with a dip in the middle (ish) that may or may not hold water.

Oh well,

I admit defeat.

My May entry will incontravertically, unprovocatively, indubitubly, probably be a round thing with a dip in the middle (ish) that may or may not hold water

I've got it!!!!

Your May entry is going to be a ..... Font!

Can I book a christening to match my pagan credentials

Wood spoiler":281cto6k said:
Oh well,

I admit defeat.

My May entry will incontravertically, unprovocatively, indubitubly, probably be a round thing with a dip in the middle (ish) that may or may not hold water

I've got it!!!!

Your May entry is going to be a ..... Font!

Can I book a christening to match my pagan credentials
Colin,

You are welcome any time. If I don't manage the font, we have lots and lots of water storage around the rose nursery which we could use to cure you pagan tendencies. Thats if there is any water left in France by the end of the month.

Or did you mean a typeface of some kind?

Latest posts

Back