Buying a workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I know that I should be building my own but I am occupied full time (given current restrictions) with alterations to the bungalow we hope to move into before Christmas.
So..... I am looking for recommendations of a supplier.
Around 16x12 minimum. Her majesty says it has got to “look nice”.

I will put down the base and build the “ flat pack “ so just need delivery and off load.
Am assuming it is going to be October time, before delivery.
All recommendations and opinions welcome.

"Should" nothing. We each do what best fits what we want and can do at a given time.

There are quite a few suppliers of prefab cabins or sheds or whatever. A lot will depend on your budget. You could go full log cabin type thing or just a more simple large shed.

Have a look on somewhere like garden buildings direct for example.

Well you know how I built mine and I don't blame you for not wanting to do the same yourself :)
You could do worse than investigate SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels. I'd have gone down that route myself had I not been messed about by some saleswoman. She cost me weeks.

Still umming and arring , but will probably go for a log cabin type garage -less the garage doors.

Maybe 6 x 4 metres .

The rear of the property has a sweeping tarmac drive to a precast garage (not as grand as that sounds) and the workshop will sit on part of that.
A previous owner must have had shares in a concrete slab manufacturer as there are slab paths crisscrossing the whole garden.
I plan to use these to build piers to sit the workshop on. They might be four slabs high in places to achieve a level base.
Other than being careful to make sure that the sides are vermin proof, can anyone see any downside in doing this?

lurker":2u91jsnt said:
Still umming and arring , but will probably go for a log cabin type garage -less the garage doors.
I have advised against log cabin style construction a couple of times on the forum. Have a look at my last effort here.

Yojevol":31wdf1cw said:
lurker":31wdf1cw said:
I have advised against log cabin style construction a couple of times on the forum. Have a look at my last effort here.

Did your leaky corners have rebated interlocking corners? They are supposed to be more weather proof not sure all log-cabins are made that way I think some have no rebate and making leaks inevitable..

Hmm, I’ve built three cabins, including my own workshop, which I’ve been in for 10 years and (touching a lot of wood) I’ve had no issues like this. The first one, which I built for my Mum, did, but that was because it was cheaper and didn’t have an overhang and also because they had a strange veranda attachment which trapped the moisture in.

I recommend a good roof overhang all the way round and also keeping on top of varnishing. I put one up for my next door neighbour last year, which is 6m x 4m and I think highly of the company they bought from; https://www.tuin.co.uk/

Happy to PM if you’ve got any questions. I’m no expert, but I love my workshop and there are loads of advantages. I would say minimum 44mm logs, slow grown and if I was building again, I would plan a log burner in from the start (it’s on my, very long get-around-to list).

Back