building insulation quilts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Anybody have opinions on building insulation quilts (Triso, Superfoil, etc) as an alternative to rigid foam sheet such as Kingspan?
There are a lot of them but there isn't much in the way of test proof of the claims made for U values.
I want to get it right - but cheaper if poss, as we are about to spend a lot of money (big building).

Hi Jacob, The lowest "U" value given to any one product, is that of Aerogel or "frozen smoke" to give it it's descriptive nickname.
It is a material which has the lowest mass of any solid matter, so far produced, and yes is used as an insulation in buildings, so far in tape form for eliminating "cold bridging".
You speak of a large building! and a desire of low cost (very commendable, by the way) although I have no way of knowing the final use for the building, I'm going to take you down a road of, what some might claim, fantasy...
First study the benefits of hempcrete, a form of concrete that can be installed by anyone - fit that is - into shuttering/forms. there is such a plethora of information online about this, as to not warrant posting any of them here...just do the search [The hemp builder] if you are interested.
Straw bale building, is another technique with a longer history than you would think...I know, I know...these almost seem absurd to the ordinary man, but I have grown to know you I think, through your posts, and I believe the thought of ridicule would not put you off...http://www.strawbalehouse.co.uk/ just skip the eco religious dogma, and learn.
Both these techniques negate the use of insulation, as we mostly think of just now, but they are on the horizon of most new regulation, if you have the ability to think outside the box...bosshogg :)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
Albert Einstein 8)

Thanks for that bosshogg.
I should have said - it's refurb of existing building so straw bales won't come into it, though I am all for green alternatives wherever poss.
I am looking at lining 24" thick masonry with studs and insulation, and the roof similarly.

24 inch Jacob, that's some wall!
Have you considered mineral wool? It's about the cheapest, you may even be able to get a grant for it, I did.

Roy.

Ah, then you may be interested in lime/hemp plaster, similar internal conditioning, but with some startling healthy properties. this co. http://www.lime.org.uk/ could answer any questions you might have.
Or alternatively, by installing the sheets of plasterboard horizontally facilitating the feed in of papercrete clay balls or any other of the granular fills, which can all be supplied with the various performance figures, try here - Centre for Alternative Technology - if you wish to pursue...bosshogg :)
"Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"...T S Elliot

I've recently finished the main part of my house with a granular insulation BH, nice and cosy.

Roy.

Before you go into it too much check with your BCO some of them don't like you to use quilts. I've done one roof with the Tri-iso and the room seems toasty enough and its far quicker to fit than two layers of celotex/kingspan.

J

I looked into this extensively when I renovated that black and white a few years back. At that time, some BCO's in some areas accepted it. Some did not. Since then I've heard that more say no. The problem with testing is that the standard hotbox test is inappropriate when it comes to Trioso et al and which is why the manufacturers have been trying so very hard to get the rules changed..but without success.

I bought something similar to wrap around a hot water pipe. Within seconds the outer skin was warm to the touch...it just didn't work.

Next, you lose quite a lot of depth on whatever surface you are treating. You need a batten that is the thickness it will expand into..say in the direction of the roof tiles...then you stick on the Trioso..then you need another batten of the same thickness ontop of the first batten so that the Trioso expand that way into the room.

But as Jason says..check with your BCO.

Try Kingspan seconds.

jasonB":ed7168ul said:
Before you go into it too much check with your BCO some of them don't like you to use quilts. I've done one roof with the Tri-iso and the room seems toasty enough and its far quicker to fit than two layers of celotex/kingspan.

J

i don't know anything about this stuff at all but just thought I'd say i really love what you did with that kitchen Jason, thanks for sharing..

Latest posts

Back