Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By MikeG.
75x38 such that the wall was 75 thick? Do-able, depending on the dimensions of your shed. You might need some noggins.

75x38 such that the wall was 38 thick. No.
By dom68
thats good news mike.. yes meaning the walls would be 75mils thick. i was planning dimensions of 8ft x 6ft but this can be adjusted if need be.. will i need a rethink?
By ObservantGround28
Incredibly helpful info in this thread.

I'm looking at a version of M's Shed clad in Plastisol coated box profile roof sheets on the back and sides rather than feather edge, etc. as I want to get it as close as possible to the boundaries and not worry about maintenance. Fences will be as tall as the walls so in theory it should be well protected at the back and both sides by any direct rain, snow, etc.

Anyone else looked at using plastic coated steel sheeting for this purpose and would you recommend it?

Thanks
By MikeG.
That'd do a lovely job. If you are using this vertically, then you'll need horizontal battens, and they should be on vertical counterbattens........all of which alters the thickness of the wall and the junction detail with the plinth. Just be very sure of your insect mesh detailing, because the profile will make that a little more complicated than with a board. It's quite a big deal, too, because wasps or bees in your wall could actually render your workshop unusable for a summer.
By Angel1058
Hi

Looking at an 11m by 5m shop - and based on this, will have a concrete base. Do I have to have reinforcement steel in the base - those grid like rebar things?

Cheers
By ObservantGround28
ObservantGround28 wrote:Thanks Mike. I'll look into this and post back what I'm going to do for anyone else thinking about this.
. I ended up building it out of blocks and put a fibreglass roof on it. Exhausting work - figured I’ve lifted over 10 tonnes excluding all the digging I did.
By That would work
Hi
My projected build will be going up to a boundary fence. Therefore I need to make the outside on that side sealed. I am intending to cover an outer skin with osb and seal this with bitumen and felt. It will be built in 8x4 sections each one being stood on a couple of courses of brick. So, as I will have a sealed exterior skin, should provide ventilation on the inside skin osb? I'll be insulating in the cavity.
By MikeG.
On the boundary? Then if you are above 15 square metres you'll need to comply with Building Regs, which means fire-resistant materials within a metre of the boundary.....which would rule out OSB.
By That would work
Hi
Unfortunately not, its 11.5 sq m. I was thinking of sealing the outsides of each panel and then also standing corrugated bitumen sheets between the boundary and the outside wall (of workshop) that sit under a draped flashing from the roof and in turn have their bottom edge sat in guttering (well below dpc) which then runs off of the upstanding base. This should ensure that not only the external timber is sealed but also kept completely dry with the corrugated sheets... and also allowing airflow between. So should I ventilate the voids in the wall with vents on the inside skin that is. It will be a 75mm cavity.
By MikeG.
If this was a store shed, it wouldn't matter. But if it is to be heated and you are going to work in it, then ideally the OSB would be on the inside, and a breathable membrane would be put on the outside, battened out, then a ventilated void created to whatever rainscreen you intend. You could fix the corrugated sheets direct to the (counterbattens & battens on the ) wall, rather than propping them in an ad hoc way, but you would need to add horizontal battens to your vertical battens. I strongly advise against felt and bitumen on OSB as your outer wall. Maintenance would be virtually impossible, and the necessity to get ventilation in behind it makes the detail difficult.
By That would work
Ok, interesting, Hadn't thought about using the sheet for the outside, automatically giving plenty of airflow. So a 3x2 stud frame with corrugated on the outside... and could let each sheet drop just over the brick base top edge on the outside. I should also be able to arrange a decent vertical overlap as I can screw from inside the stud frame to pull them together. What insulation would you recommend?
By MikeG.
Careful, though. It doesn't just give airflow, but access for insects and vermin. You'll need to design in some insect mesh.

Insulation? Mineral wool/ fibreglass is fine for a shed. If you want something more expensive but a better insulator, then Celotex.