Brummer stopping filler going hard?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Fear not.

I pass on a little tip given to me by the helpful technical guys at Brummer.

Just pop the tin in warm water for 5-10 minutes et voila...it will soften up nicely. Leave it in too long and it will go quite runny but then as it cools it thickens again. Magic.

Good tip, leave a damp piece of rag in the top of the pot. Keeps it nice and soft.

I was always shown to spit in it to liven it up again.

Brummer is easier to sand than 2 part, more choice of colours to match the wood and will take stain.

J

I always thought nail varnish remover softened the hard stuff. Never seems to stay usable very long once the tins opened.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I don't use any filler much but handy to have a tin or two about for emergencies.

I like Brummer for the big range of colours (Standard; Maple; Pine; Light Oak; Natural Oak; Medium Oak; Dark Oak; Beech; Light Mahogany; Medium Mahogany; Dark Mahogany; Light Walnut; Ebony; Teak. Black and White) - but don't take too much notice of the name just go for the shade that suits. It can be mixed with stain, drilled, sanded etc - when dry just treat like wood.

Good tip about heating in hot water when hard :)

RogerS":3kgogaxf said:
Fear not.

I pass on a little tip given to me by the helpful technical guys at Brummer.

Just pop the tin in warm water for 5-10 minutes et voila...it will soften up nicely. Leave it in too long and it will go quite runny but then as it cools it thickens again. Magic.

wow you learn something everyday - my abiding memory of Brummer (no I dont use it anymore!) is opening the tin and finding it hard...

great tip :)

2 pack fillers have no absorbtion for stain though you can tint them with earth pigments.

After reading all above, I will try and stain using watercolour paint straight from the tube and will let you know my results.

BTW I think I know why they called the stuff Bummer. :wink:

I was just Googling drying time for Brummer and this thread appeared. I did not know that you could resurrect a tine of Brummer by heating it up! Now I do, excellent!

Am away to the shed, to look for one of the hard tins of brummer filler, that I'm bound to have and try the heating trick.

Andrewf":cezmuna5 said:
Am away to the shed, to look for one of the hard tins of brummer filler, that I'm bound to have and try the heating trick.

Let us know how you get on :)

Back