Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Benchwayze
Dibs-h wrote:
Benchwayze wrote:Just an idea. Anyhow when I can get home, and prepare my own food, I am going back to low carb.

John :D

What are your thoughts on not necessarily going low carbs, but perhaps upping the % or amounts of complex carbs and/or low GI ones of the current amount of carbs?

Dibs

I'm not sure Dibs. I seem to do best on a very low carb diet. In October last year I was close to 21 stone. :shock: I was 17 stones when I went into hospital in June. Put on another stone since, on hospital food. Considerably less food than I eat at home, so I am thinking it's pointless counting calories; and the 'Law of thermodynamics' is all hooey where the body is concerned. Mainly as the body isn't a closed system. So calories in = calories out doesn't mean a thing! It's what we eat, not how much. When I started reducing carbs I got into the habit of walking through Sutton Park, three times a week, (about a 3 miles from the nearest 'bus drop) then taking the 'bus again at Sutton terminus to get back home for tea!

John :ho2
By Trainee neophyte
whiskywill wrote:
Trainee neophyte wrote: The recipe: 4 things go into bread, water, strong flour, yeast, salt. I use 500g flour, 300g water, half teaspoon of salt and 15g (standard packet from Lidl) of yeast.

Unless you are using something different, Lidl packs of instant yeast contain 7g, just like all other manufacturer's, and not 15g.

Doh! (homer)

I wondered about that when I wrote it, but was going from poor memory, or random making-things-up rather than fact-checking - who's going to stand up and walk to the cupboard when plucking a random number from the air is so much easier?

A roundabout way of saying you are right, and I am wrong - my apologies. (homer)
By Dibs-h
Benchwayze wrote:I'm not sure Dibs. I seem to do best on a very low carb diet. In October last year I was close to 21 stone. :shock: I was 17 stones when I went into hospital in June. Put on another stone since, on hospital food. Considerably less food than I eat at home, so I am thinking it's pointless counting calories; and the 'Law of thermodynamics' is all hooey where the body is concerned. Mainly as the body isn't a closed system. So calories in = calories out doesn't mean a thing! It's what we eat, not how much. When I started reducing carbs I got into the habit of walking through Sutton Park, three times a week, (about a 3 miles from the nearest 'bus drop) then taking the 'bus again at Sutton terminus to get back home for tea!

Walking or any form of exercise has got to be good thing. :wink:

Calorie counting - I agree with you. For most folk it's a distraction I think.

Low carbs or low complex/GI carbs - yes, definitely a case of finding something that works for you and you can live with.

My uncle has a reasonably balanced diet that is somewhat repetitive and combined with his 3-4 miles a day walking resulted in almost 30kg weight loss so far. With a 4 off month hiatus in the year.

But it's the general improvement in his wellness that he's happy with. He lives at the bottom of a hill (about 1/2 a mile long) and previously used to stop at least twice walking up, out of breath and knackered. And used to complain of pain in his legs.

Now, no stops and no complaints of pain.

Wishing you all the best with the "diet" and keep active, as best you can. :wink: :D and hope you get home soon.
By Dibs-h
P.s. we had to manage the weight loss to no more than 2kg a month after the 1st few months, so as to try and minimise loose skin.

Didn't want him to escape his fat suit only to end up in a excess skin suit.
By Benchwayze
Thanks Dibs.

I just put some go-faster stripes on my walking frame!

John :)
By Trainee neophyte
Benchwayze wrote:
Dibs-h wrote:
Benchwayze wrote:Just an idea. Anyhow when I can get home, and prepare my own food, I am going back to low carb.

John :D

What are your thoughts on not necessarily going low carbs, but perhaps upping the % or amounts of complex carbs and/or low GI ones of the current amount of carbs?

Dibs

I'm not sure Dibs. I seem to do best on a very low carb diet. In October last year I was close to 21 stone. :shock: I was 17 stones when I went into hospital in June. Put on another stone since, on hospital food. Considerably less food than I eat at home, so I am thinking it's pointless counting calories; and the 'Law of thermodynamics' is all hooey where the body is concerned. Mainly as the body isn't a closed system. So calories in = calories out doesn't mean a thing! It's what we eat, not how much. When I started reducing carbs I got into the habit of walking through Sutton Park, three times a week, (about a 3 miles from the nearest 'bus drop) then taking the 'bus again at Sutton terminus to get back home for tea!

I wrote a long, evangelical, born-again fasting/low carb post, and then deleted it. You don't need random internet people proffering unsolicited advice, without knowing your circumstances. However, I would strongly recommend finding a real doctor who knows about diet and insulin resistance. You CAN fix this just by changing your eating habits. How you do it, and what you do, are less relevant than the fact that it can be done quite readily, as I understand it. There must be a dietician who is competent and up-to-date available somewhere - how easy it would be to find one, I don't know. I'm in the wrong country to be of any assistance. I don't suppose you are anywhere near Exeter, are you? I do know a doctor there who is insisting that diet comes before pills, much to the chagrin of the pharmaceutical companies.
By Benchwayze
Big Pharma.. Nail on the head there! Truth is they don't want a cure for things they can manage with drugs. I wonder how much insulin is costing the NHS?

I am in the Midlands TN. Long way from Exeketer! But I just tell the Doc I eat the right foods, to explain weight loss. I think he knows what I am doing but he doesn't pursue it.

john :)