bowl finish polish/wax

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo 62

Established Member
Reaction score
I am now wondering what to use. I bought some hard wax from amazon but it does not seem to work that well .

So now time to ask what do most folks use on here ,or is there a post i should be looking at.

thanks tommo

I make mine with pure turps, carnauba and/or microcrystalline but most people seem to use microcystalline or a wax with a carnauba content. The traditional beeswax made with turps/turps sub. marks at a low temperature so is not so good for things that get handled. You can use carnauba in block form but it's very hard and needs a lot of friction to melt it in and can easily bruise soft woods.

Tomo ,any soft wax will do the job on top of a cellulose based sanding sealer,don't apply on the lathe whilst turning but apply and buff with the lathe stationary or the bowl off the lathe ,A lot of the problems seen with wax finishes are ring lines which show up under light simply because the wax was applied with the piece spinning.You wouldn't spin a table top to apply polish so why spin a bowl?

A lot of the problems with a hard wax when applying is that too much is put on it only needs a small amount and the rubbed in with the lathe running(DO NOT WRAP ANYTHING AROUND FINGERS) this will melt the wax which can be moved around until an even coat is across the whole piece.
Or if preferred buy a buffing system and apply the wax to a soft mop then polish the piece keeping a firm grip on the item as it can be pulled from your hands and fly across the room which I am sure many have done including me.
Some of these methods may not be suitable for natural edge of have inclusions in them.

Like most things in turning use common sense if it feels wrong don't do it

tommo 62":50ruaxpy said:
I am now wondering what to use. I bought some hard wax from amazon but it does not seem to work that well .

So now time to ask what do most folks use on here ,or is there a post i should be looking at.

thanks tommo
How are you sealing the piece, your reasons for selecting a hard wax?
Applying the merest coating of hard wax without forming excessive build-up or marring the piece is an art in itself.
As mentioned by Dalboy the easiest way to apply a hard wax such as Carnauba is with a buffing wheel applying the lightest of loads to the rotating finishing mop as opposed to trying to spread it over the wood by hand.

All points being taken on board. I had not sealed the wood. Been looking on line for a cellulose based sanding sealer. I didn't realise it was so expensive for small amounts. No one local in Nottingham sells any so looks like its an online buy.
Going back to school days when I turned a few bowls we never sealed the wood and used a stick of some wax or other. It did apply easy as i remember then polish up with rag.
Also just found a club in ollerton near Nottingham Dukeries woodturning society. so dropped them an email.
Are there and members of that club on here ?

tommo

When i was at school I gave my gran a bowl as Christmas present 1972. When she passed away the bowl was given back to me. As far as i know all she had done was polish it. 5 months ago the wife asked me to stain it. Which I did and its now in daily use again.

tommo

This is probably an equivalent to the wax you used at school, A much softer Blend , there are equivalents from other suppliers, much easier to use by hand than 'Hard Wax' such a Carnauba, waxes can obviously be applied to unsealed wood, however sealing first gives a much better chance of consistent results.

Ok thanks for the information CHJ. looks like my photobucket picture hosting has died not seeing my pics now for some reason.

tommo

tommo 62":3tn4mzxm said:
All points being taken on board. I had not sealed the wood. Been looking on line for a cellulose based sanding sealer. I didn't realise it was so expensive for small amounts. No one local in Nottingham sells any so looks like its an online buy.
Going back to school days when I turned a few bowls we never sealed the wood and used a stick of some wax or other. It did apply easy as i remember then polish up with rag.
Also just found a club in ollerton near Nottingham Dukeries woodturning society. so dropped them an email.
Are there and members of that club on here ?

tommo

Hi Tommo. I got my sanding sealer here if its any help

https://www.clostermann.co.uk/product-p/cl20ss-25.htm

Back