Booking holidays online

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone understand how this works?

My rather modest journalistic career is mostly limited to Italy these days. I've been writing for LegnoLab for quite a few years, but as I do a lot less than I used to, it's a bit here and a bit there.

I've only ever dealt with Francesco, my "handler", by email. His English is ahelluvalot better than my Italian, but we have developed a nice e-relationship.

I like Italy. In a previous, richer but unhappier, life I used to go pretty much every year. Did Italian nightschool, the lot. But after life went tots up, that was the end of it.

But I have decided I need to meet Francesco in the flesh before I pop my clogs, so have been looking at a few days in Rome. Last Sunday, I found a deal I was happy with. Flights from Manchester at sensible hours, 5 nights in a 3* hotel fairly centrally, £437. Great, thinks I. So I rang my friend, "Do you fancy a short week in Rome, ring me back when you get this message."

Monday Morning, I redo the search, the same package, same dates, same flights, same hotel, costs 687. I change the departure from Sunday to Monday and the price is 450. So I click.

During the booking process, the deal goes up, just by a few quid, but I get through it. Today I decided to have another look. The same deal is now 837. Nothing has changed except the price.

How on earth is this this straight? It's bonkers.

I have a mixture of relief and annoyance.
S

Try clearing your cookies and trying again.

I have heard that the websites can work it so that you never get a cheaper price. May be an old wives tale though.

As demand for a particular flight grows the price usually does go up sadly. If you can book a year ahead they are usually dirt cheap.

Steve Maskery":3byktcri said:
Does anyone understand how this works?

My rather modest journalistic career is mostly limited to Italy these days. I've been writing for LegnoLab for quite a few years, but as I do a lot less than I used to, it's a bit here and a bit there.

I've only ever dealt with Francesco, my "handler", by email. His English is ahelluvalot better than my Italian, but we have developed a nice e-relationship.

I like Italy. In a previous, richer but unhappier, life I used to go pretty much every year. Did Italian nightschool, the lot. But after life went tots up, that was the end of it.

But I have decided I need to meet Francesco in the flesh before I pop my clogs, so have been looking at a few days in Rome. Last Sunday, I found a deal I was happy with. Flights from Manchester at sensible hours, 5 nights in a 3* hotel fairly centrally, £437. Great, thinks I. So I rang my friend, "Do you fancy a short week in Rome, ring me back when you get this message."

Monday Morning, I redo the search, the same package, same dates, same flights, same hotel, costs 687. I change the departure from Sunday to Monday and the price is 450. So I click.

During the booking process, the deal goes up, just by a few quid, but I get through it. Today I decided to have another look. The same deal is now 837. Nothing has changed except the price.

How on earth is this this straight? It's bonkers.

I have a mixture of relief and annoyance.
S
Usual for airlines. We have the same game whenever we visit family in the States.

I would drive to Italy personally. Yes it is a pain, and it takes a lot longer, but I find it less hassle than flying. I have done it a few times with the family, and we are doing it again in August. Eurotunnel to Calais and a route down through Belgium, Lux, Germany to reduce toll costs.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Ooh, I'd never thought of that. Hmm.
Mind you, I did once drive through Rome. Never again.

I'm not afraid of flying per se, but I do hate the whole airport experience.

Bodgers":30l90hf1 said:
I would drive to Italy personally. Yes it is a pain, and it takes a lot longer, but I find it less hassle than flying. I have done it a few times with the family, and we are doing it again in August. Eurotunnel to Calais and a route down through Belgium, Lux, Germany to reduce toll costs.

To each his or her own, but I would rather have my balls ripped away than drive to Italy again, and I'm starting much closer than the UK. I've driven from Darmstadt to Vicenza three times and from Vicenza to Naples twice. I will never make those drives again. Ever. With good traffic, the Darmstadt to Vicenza trip is nine hours each way, and with bad traffic, there is no telling how long the trip will take. On my last trip back, it took 12 hours to drive from Trento to Brenner because of a combination of roadwork and several accidents in the work zones. The drive from Vicenza to Naples was just long and boring.

The one-hour direct flight from Frankfurt to Verona was about €300 round trip, and the drive to Vicenza in a rental car is 45 minutes. All in with the airfare and rental car expenses, it almost equals my fuel bill for the trip, but I save just over seven hours of my time each way.

MikeK":28cpia50 said:
Bodgers":28cpia50 said:

To each his or her own, but I would rather have my balls ripped away than drive to Italy again, and I'm starting much closer than the UK. I've driven from Darmstadt to Vicenza three times and from Vicenza to Naples twice. I will never make those drives again. Ever. With good traffic, the Darmstadt to Vicenza trip is nine hours each way, and with bad traffic, there is no telling how long the trip will take. On my last trip back, it took 12 hours to drive from Trento to Brenner because of a combination of roadwork and several accidents in the work zones. The drive from Vicenza to Naples was just long and boring.

The one-hour direct flight from Frankfurt to Verona was about €300 round trip, and the drive to Vicenza in a rental car is 45 minutes. All in with the airfare and rental car expenses, it almost equals my fuel bill for the trip, but I save just over seven hours of my time each way.
Yeah, I suppose I am factoring in paying for wife plus kids and a strong hate of flying. Finances definitely are stacked for driving when multiple people are involved.

Steve is alone I assume.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":1xfs07nk said:
Yeah, I suppose I am factoring in paying for wife plus kids and a strong hate of flying. Finances definitely are stacked for driving when multiple people are involved.

Steve is alone I assume.

Fair enough. I was traveling alone and enjoy flying.

Back