Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By AndyT
Alex wrote:Hi Keith. If its oak veneer bookcase you are after have a look at Ikea Billy oak veneer bookcases. They are proper oak veneer with finish that looks oiled. At £55 for 800mm x 2000mm, six shelves included plus you can buy extra shelves and further sizes available. I can't even buy material for £55. Really sturdy if you put L brackets on top and screwed to wall. Quite easy to adapt with plunge saw if need cut one down. I've put quite few in for customers who have been thrilled with them. Worth a consideration.

Very true. Even if you fill the shelves with big heavy books, or pack two rows of smaller books onto each shelf, there's no perceptible sag.

And they have sold over 60 million units (2017 figure.)
By Setch
Thirded - granted they're chipboard not MDF, but the veneered oak finish is just that, and they've already done the hard work of edging the fronts and optimising the balance of material strength to shelf width.
By Keith 66
I bit the bullet & ordered a pile of materials, Cherry faced MDF & three slabs of sawn cherry for edgings & mouldings. All arrived yesterday.
I ended up using Jennor timber in Enfield, reasonable on price & free delivery.
We sometimes use them at the school i work at & they have always been reliable.
My wife is pleased with the choice of cherry, some of it is quite wild figuring & a nice colour.
Makes a change from Oak!
Spent yesterday afternoon machining the edgings & facings, Edgings are 10mm thick to allow a decent radius to be routered on, my boatbuilding showing here, never did like sharp corners on boats!
By MikeG.
Alex wrote:Hi Keith. If its oak veneer bookcase you are after have a look at Ikea Billy oak veneer bookcases. They are proper oak veneer with finish that looks oiled. At £55 for 800mm x 2000mm, six shelves included plus you can buy extra shelves and further sizes available. I can't even buy material for £55. Really sturdy if you put L brackets on top and screwed to wall. Quite easy to adapt with plunge saw if need cut one down. I've put quite few in for customers who have been thrilled with them. Worth a consideration.

Really? On a woodworker's forum?

Honestly, isn't the point to start making these things ourselves rather than buying machine-produced mass-made furniture from global superstores? Who cares if it costs a few pennies more. No-one looks at an Ikea bookshelf and smiles inwardly at the satisfaction that buying it gave them.
By RichardG
MikeG. wrote:No-one looks at an Ikea bookshelf and smiles inwardly at the satisfaction that buying it gave them.

Apart from Mr Ikea of course...
By Pete Maddex
The only piece of furniture in my lounge I didn't make is from Ikea.

Pete
By Keith 66
Well i have been busy, purchased a new Festool track saw, Why i didnt buy one of these years ago i dont know, i was staggered at the accuracy & cleanness of the cut, zero tear out on the veneered faces & they look like they were cut with a laser.
Lower storage unit was prefabbed in the workshop, as its 2.3m long 500mm high & 400 deep being built from 27mm mdf it was going to be a massive struggle to carry indoors so it was assembled dry, edges all faced & assembled in situ. In view of the weight of books its going to carry it has to be strong & i used two layers of mdf one 15 & one 12 glued together as this was what the timber yard had!
Upper book case sections will be 18mm.
All the front edges will be a 12mm thick section with radiused corners.
Will have some pics tomorrow.
By Keith 66
Well it wasnt tomorrow as things got in the way! Back on the job & the tracksaw was busy. My last hand held circular saw was an old metal cased black & decker dating back to the mid 60's, that was lucky to cut within 1/8" of the line, the festool was a revelation, smooth prescise cuts with no tear out or chipping. This one job it has earnt its cost & then some.
Heres a couple of pics with the top glued on, nearly done! All frontedges have been edged with 12mm solid edgings so an 8mm radius on every corner, I dont like sharp corners or iron on edging.
Couple of balls ups to repair tomorrow where i ran the router too far at a couple of the intersections.
Thing is as a boatbuilder im used to working with 3d curved things & having to work square is a bit of a challenge to me, Im pleased & so is my good lady!
Bookcase 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Keith 66
Well its done, all repairs done, all sanded down & three coats of Ronseal satincoat polyurethane varnish. I was quite impressed with the varnish its easy to apply & goes off quickly.
I was going to fit a ceiling trim & cornice but was vetoed by my wife, the room ceiling slopes down enough at one end that no matter what you do it was going to stand out like a wart. It was less obtrusive to leave the top bit off!
Some led strip lights to fit & the lower doors to make but that will have to wait until the timber yard is open again. Tomorrow i start loading it up with books.
Bookcase4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.