Bolts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I really should give up this DIY stuff as it seems the more I progress the less I know :cry:

I am looking for 2 x M6 bolts that have a square throat/neck at the end.
I need them for my router table and they need to be 3" - 4" long.

My problem is that once again I have no idea what they are called,
Can anyone please advise,

54 years this woodwork stuff has avoided me,
Who knew it could be so complicated?

many thanks
Gary

Do you mean a coach bolt?

hcs3.jpg

Thanks guys

Sorry for the daft sounding questions but we all start somewhere. (hammer)

No such thing as daft questions. Nobody knows anything until they know it.

Geoff_S":3vcnb54b said:
Back when I started we didn't have forums. Now that was pain!

If I didn't have people around me that made stuff when I was a kid, I'd be even more clueless than I am now. A lot of those old boys were gone before the internet was even heard of.

How critical is the diameter and the square under the head? Wilco have 100mm ones as pick and mix in £1.99 and £2.99 bags - I had over one and a half kilos for £2.99 - but the 6mm ones haven't the square, the 8mm ones have. Either way, if you're building router tables, jigs etc. it's a cheap way of buying coach bolts, coach screws, set screws, penny washers, wing nuts etc. I'd probably steer clear of the woodscrews, though.

phil.p":3frgrxel said:
How critical is the diameter and the square under the head? Wilco have 100mm ones as pick and mix in £1.99 and £2.99 bags - I had over one and a half kilos for £2.99 - but the 6mm ones haven't the square, the 8mm ones have. Either way, if you're building router tables, jigs etc. it's a cheap way of buying coach bolts, coach screws, set screws, penny washers, wing nuts etc. I'd probably steer clear of the woodscrews, though.

The diameter and square on the neck are pivotal to what I am aiming to do.
I have a Pingtek bench router table with built in 1500W router. https://www.amazon.co.uk/PINGTEK-BL...e=UTF8&qid=1515439532&sr=8-2&keywords=pingtek
For Christmas my better half Janet got me a INCRA - I-Box Jig for Box Joints from https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/products/incra-i-box-jig-for-box-joints
The miter slot on the table is too narrow for the guide rail of the jig.
What I have done is put some 3/4" ply on the table with a slot cut out to sit the guide rail in and secured them all to the router table.
With the surface now being 3/4" higher, the bolts holding the fence to the table are now not long enough.
So I now need 2 longer replacements, the problem being that the slots on the table are for M6 bolts.

Back