Blue Jay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George..

Established Member
Reaction score
8044CD9C-D804-4F8C-9DC5-D1B4C34D2F8C.jpeg
Hi all, just finished a Kathy Wise American Blue Jay project. Had to acrylic paint wash the blue as no wood that colour.
George

Blue Jay.jpg

Attachments

• 8044CD9C-D804-4F8C-9DC5-D1B4C34D2F8C.jpeg
    8044CD9C-D804-4F8C-9DC5-D1B4C34D2F8C.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 674
  • Blue Jay.jpg
    Blue Jay.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 643
nice job i have done that one but wont be posting it after seeing yours its in a different class

Thanks ,but all is not as it seems, but can anyone spot the extra piece I have put in to fill a rather large gap ?
George (hammer)

I'll 'ave a go (but it doesn't really notice - even with the pic the right way up, thanks Mods), is it by any chance the bigger black piece right at the top centre of the white belly?

George, even if that's the correct answer, one really has to be looking hard for the "error"! If I'd made a "mistake" like that I definitely would NOT be beating myself up!

Very nice bluejay.
Good use of the acrylic too. Lovely colour.

I use acrylic paint for some of my projects when I haven’t got the wood colour which is very often. I wasn’t happy with using the paint as a wash though. Never happy with the final look. Now I use the acrylic straight out of the tube with no water. Two or 3 coats gives me a better finish but you can’t see the wood grain.. once it has varnish on the paint looks ok.

Everyone to there own choice though. Some prefer just a wash so that you can see the grain of the wood. In a ideal world I would prefer no paint but we have to make do with what we have.

Not seen that pattern so can’t tell you what the extra piece is. It’s not noticeable anyway so be happy with it. :D

The extra piece is a thin white piece between the tail and the left end of the large white body piece.
George

Back