Block planes, buy second hand or make one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basssound

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting more into wood work and less into metal work.
I've decided that I would like a small block plane for removing sharp edges and smoothing off butt joints ect...
Now I've seen people wax lyrical about the Stanley 220 so are they the be all and end all for a keen advanced DIY person like myself.
I'm a hgv mechanic by trade but I really wish now that I'd have got into carpentry because I enjoy making and fabricating stuff so they though came to mind about making one similar to the krenov planes.
Shoukd I make one or just go out and buy one?

What tools do you already have, as it might be a case of it’s hard to make a plane without already owning a plane?

I believe Veritas do a hardware kit that you can then make the accompanying body, so that could be a decent option.

I've got alsorts from a Dewalt table saw, old school pillar drill, track saw, air nailers, sanders and loads more, I think I've got the tools and the skill to make most things.

basssound,
There's a huge choice of blockplanes, new and secondhand. I've got 3 or 4 new and old, but the favourite is my Stanley 220. Lightweight, easy to adjust the blade, and cheap.

John

If you want one to make use of, buy a second hand one. They're about £10-20, it seems.
If you want the pride and pleasure in making one, that you may or may not use yourself later on, then make it.

A bevel up block plane would be tricky to make I reckon. There quite sophisticated tbh. They've got a shallow bed adjustable mouth in front of the blade. Tricky in wood.

I'll second the idea that buying secondhand is the best path forward to obtaining a user. Block planes pretty much require a metal sole, so a bit tricky to make in wood. Especially as a first build. If you want to get into plane building, start out making jack planes.

As far as how to find a good one, look for a plane with enough wear that it obviously has a history of being used (thus it lacks fatal manfacturer's defects). Then check it over for damage.

If you were interested in an off the shelf woodie, I highly recommend the ECE Block plane. Use it a lot.

Be careful with second hand block planes.

In the post war period a block plane was often the only plane that the home handyman owned, there was a race to the bottom by manufactures to offer the cheapest possible block plane for the burgeoning DIY market.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that some of them were absolute crepe!

basssound":3am1z87w said:
I'm a hgv mechanic by trade but I really wish now that I'd have got into carpentry because I enjoy making and fabricating stuff so they though came to mind about making one similar to the krenov planes.
Shoukd I make one or just go out and buy one?

I'd buy one. Although, a little Krenov type plane would be a fun and easy build.
If you're comfortable working with metal, a small mitre plane, the kind Bill Carter shows how
to make on Youtube, would be something I'd consider.

Hi - If you want to build one, then Charnwood have an end of line sale on Pinie kits like this in their showroom (Don't quote me but sure they are down to about £10 or so in showroom now too) - funny as I was talking about them today to a director as I quite fancied getting one & making my own too.

https://www.charnwood.net/products/prod ... _pathway-2

Best to call them to check pricing etc before travelling too as not that many left.

PS - I do work for Charnwood but on another brand - Hi Mods, hope this is OK?, as just trying to help with options?

Cheers all,
Nick

A block plane looks an easy thing to build but it really isn't that easy to produce a good usable result. I tried making one a while back. It looked OK but wasn't a success as a user. I haven't a clue where it is now and I carry on as I did before; no block plane is better than a bad block plane. If you want a user, and have no previous plane-making experience, buy one.

johnnyb":ollh8n1h said:
A bevel up block plane would be tricky to make I reckon. There quite sophisticated tbh. They've got a shallow bed adjustable mouth in front of the blade. Tricky in wood.

They don't have to have an adjustable mouth, surely. I've seen a number of wooden block planes, and none had an adjustable mouth (well, other than by taking a file to it!).

Latest posts

Back