blast from the past.. my own work.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee celtic

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a blast from the past.. My Brother found one of the tables I made in 1985... I was 18 years old when I made this.. :shock: it had a tilt top and was solid Mahogany

20840191_10213367097871195_45895217_n.jpg

20815032_10213367098111201_1213794492_n.jpg

And now the past mistake bit... I had a brand new set of Stanley chisels and honed them up great.. then stuck one through the back of my left hand making this table.. 5 months off while the tendons healed.. top tip.. clamp your timber well and clean the oil stone oil off your hands before you start cutting..lol

That's a smart looking table. You obviously built it to last!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Indeed, and the finish has lasted well too. Can you remember what you would have used?

AndyT":5103l6y2 said:
Indeed, and the finish has lasted well too. Can you remember what you would have used?

Hi Andy.. don't know where the photos went but I'll try and get them back..

finish was as follows..

Good sanding after wetting a few times to rise the grain.
Stained with Potassium Permanganate crystals dissolved in water.
A coat of clear sealer and more sanding.
Then the hard work.. French polish applied with a rubber and dab of linseed oil for a few hours and left to dry overnight.
Then de nib and more french polish.. this went on every day for a week..then a final flat off and polish with thinned out polish.. It took for ever , thats why I went into upholstery not polishing..lol

Alan Waterhouse was my teacher.. The book is very useful..

s-l300.jpg

hopefully fixed.. don't know why my photos keep going awol .. all I do is paste the link again and they work fine..

Back