Blade Tidy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Knocked this up from some plastic test tubes (ebay), some scrap pine and dowel, and a knob from my "that may be useful one day box". I did cheat and do the holes with Forstner bits. If anyone is interested I can describe how its done
Blade%20tidy.jpg

excellent mick, i have my blades in tubes as you have , but chucked into a basket, so a "how to" on this would be handy please.

The 2 main parts are 6"x 6"x 5/8"pine but I think you could use any scrap. Find and mark the centre on one piece. Using a set of compasses mark out a 5" circle and a 4"circle.. Keep the compasses at 4". Place the compass point anywhere on the 4"circle and mark the circle on both arcs. Move the compass to the first mark anti-clockwise and make 2 more marks then continue all round the circle until you get back to where you started. you should now have 12 centres marked on the 4" circle.
I then nailed both pieces of pine together in the corners and also taped them together. I used a drill press and a forstner bit slightly larger than the tubes set to just cut through the top piece of wood and mark the lower piece with the point. I drilled through the centre of both pieces to take the dowel. I then cut the stacked pieces to the 5"circle on the scroll saw. I drilled half way through the base with a smaller bit. Then just sand and fit up.
Hope this makes sense

Very nice - another idea I must get round to at some point! I have my blades in the packets from Mike still, havent even got as far as tubes yet :roll:

Steve

StevieB":1wpry8jm said:
Very nice - another idea I must get round to at some point! I have my blades in the packets from Mike still, havent even got as far as tubes yet :roll:

Steve

Tut Tut steve, and i thought i was bad.. :lol:

Thanks very much mick, hopefully i just may get a chance to try this over the next couple of days.

Mouse":1ihca83o said:
The 2 main parts are 6"x 6"x 5/8"pine but I think you could use any scrap. Find and mark the centre on one piece. Using a set of compasses mark out a 5" circle and a 4"circle.. Keep the compasses at 4". Place the compass point anywhere on the 4"circle and mark the circle on both arcs. Move the compass to the first mark anti-clockwise and make 2 more marks then continue all round the circle until you get back to where you started. you should now have 12 centres marked on the 4" circle.
I then nailed both pieces of pine together in the corners and also taped them together. I used a drill press and a forstner bit slightly larger than the tubes set to just cut through the top piece of wood and mark the lower piece with the point. I drilled through the centre of both pieces to take the dowel. I then cut the stacked pieces to the 5"circle on the scroll saw. I drilled half way through the base with a smaller bit. Then just sand and fit up.
Hope this makes sense

Will try again, to show you the blade holders I have made. I put it on a lay susan.
Blade%20Holde.jpg

This one is for the Hegner blades.
Blade%20Holder%20Tubes.jpg

If you go to my web site, scroll down to the picture and you can see it.
Mike

Back