Bit of Advice Please... MR MDF or Birch Ply for this build?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oobaa

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a mobile cart that is also a drill press table (only for a Bosch PBD40) and storage cart for my thicknesser and belt/spindle sander
It won't be moved that often

I'm running short on 18mm ply but have plenty of 18mm MR MDF
Sketchup pic below - yellow = Birch Ply / grey = MDF

Do you reckon it will be strong enough? or should I be patient and wait on delivery of some ply?
I'll Domino and glue the box, shelf and first layer of the top
TIA

storage and drill press.jpg

Attachments

• storage and drill press.jpg
    storage and drill press.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 147
Well, without doing a Finite Element analysis on it (I never did understand that, even though I worked for PAFEC for 7 years), but your span is not huge, so if your joinery is sound, I would not expect problems.
MRMDF is significantly better for this sort of thing than MDF (and I think MDF would actually do, it's just nowhere hear as nice* to work with)
S
*Everything is relative :)

MDF -and nice in the same sentence... it must be a Friday

Thanks

Steve Maskery":3epeexdn said:
Well, without doing a Finite Element analysis on it (I never did understand that, even though I worked for PAFEC for 7 years), but your span is not huge, so if your joinery is sound, I would not expect problems.
MRMDF is significantly better for this sort of thing than MDF (and I tink MDF would actually do, it's just nowhere hear as nice* to work with)
S
*Everything is relative :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back