Biscuit jointer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basssound

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to purchase a biscuit jointer.
I haven't got the money for a new or used festool domino (£500 used) so that out of the question.
Now I'll only be using it for DIY and possibly the odd bit for family members so what should I be looking at. I wouldn't mind buying a second one if its in good condition, especially from another member on here.
Would a cheap entry level one at well under £100 sort me out or should I be looking at a Dewalt, Makita or Trend?

Cheers.

That’s where I started and it’s now in the bin! Save yourself some misery and try to get a decent one.

The traditionally good name with biscuit jointers was Lamello. Elu also made one of an unusual design but high quality. If I was looking for a used one, I'd include those names in my watch list. I'd have no problem with buying a 20 year old machine from these brands if it was in good condition.

A couple of years ago my dilemma was like yours now

Took the plunge and bought the Dom/500 which I have never regretted

The reason for my post -- have you considered a pocket-hole jig ?

Mine is the Kreg system and very efficient for a novice like me

Both Domino and Kreg get used; ie not bought then thrown in a drawer not to be used again -- that happened to my German Dowel kit, bought after watching a brilliant video, eventually I gave the dowel gear away

My Nilfisk vacuum gets the dust away quite well with Domino and Kreg

Good luck

Yes I've got the Kreg R3 and the Kreg auto adjusting clamps along side some pocket hole g clamps from Rutlands. I find the system quick but not very accurate on thin stuff like 12mm mdf.
Maybe I don't like the system that much because all I ever really work with MDF and now I'm starting to hate the stuff, only reason for using it is all the pine near me is full of knots...

…..all the pine near me is full of knots...

Seems a good excuse to me for a County change

Come over to sunny Lancashire; knot- free Pine on this side of the hill :)

basssound":9u1xxbm5 said:
So I'm looking to purchase a biscuit jointer.
I haven't got the money for a new or used festool domino (£500 used) so that out of the question.

A Domino isn't a biscuit jointer.

A Domino uses loose tenons; a biscuit jointer uses, well...biscuits!

There's only one Domino machine, the one sold by Festool. But there are loads of different biscuit jointers from loads of different manufacturers. Unfortunately most are junk, a few are just about okay for occasional use, and three are professional quality tools. The three biscuit jointers that I see in professional workshops are; any model from Lamello, the Mafell, and the one that is the top of the DeWalt range.

If you can't run to a decent machine then think about pocket hole jigs or dowels. Bargain basement biscuit jointers are some of the junkiest junk tools out there.

I had a dirt cheap Freud biscuit jointer for many years. Some cheap machines are capable of doing a quality job. The weak link on the Freud was the fence which did not automatically sit parallel to the blade but it could be set up right with a bit of careful measuring. The guide mechanism for the plunge was OK. All that really matters is that's the biscuits go in parallel to the board and the next one will be made at the same setting and my cheap one was capable of that. Used for 15 years for pro work without complaint. When it died replaced with a Lammelo which as you would expect is better but the Freud when set up right did just as good a job just not as slickly. My advise would be look at the model you have in mind and look closely at the plunge and fence mechanism. If the plunge is reasonably play free and the fence can be set parallel to the blade it can do a good job. Even if the plunge does have a bit of play if you use the jointer in a consistent way it should cut to the same hight.

Dominoes may be great but I found the biscuit jointer a god send and would not be without one. Cheap biscuits on the other hand gave me a few headaches so I stick with Lammelo for these

Sideways":jrjiz1nz said:
The traditionally good name with biscuit jointers was Lamello. Elu also made one of an unusual design but high quality. If I was looking for a used one, I'd include those names in my watch list. I'd have no problem with buying a 20 year old machine from these brands if it was in good condition.

If he could afford a Lamello then he could afford a festool Domino..

ScaredyCat":2yoficmu said:

No arguing with that. But maybe that really suggests the OP should be looking for an entirely different solution, like say pocket screws?

Here's an honest look at the reality of "bargain" power tools. This is in the context of duo-dowell machines, but it's still entirely relevant as it's really a video about any power tool that depends on an adjustable, moving fence for accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgH8eQx4TJw

I can highly recommend the DeWalt biscuit jointer - think I paid something like £200 for it with a couple of boxes of 1000 biscuits (probably a lifetime supply for me!). I can't comment on other brands as have only owned this one, but I find it a great machine. Very accurate and brill for panel glueups (pretty much my main use for it). If someone was heavy handed with it then I would guess that the fence might flex a bit, as the fence is only secured at an angle from one side, but if not abusing it then i find it a very accurate machine. Also, i've only ever used the DeWalt biscuits, but store them in a sealed box so i've had no problems with swelling etc.

ScaredyCat":1s8cgry7 said:
Sideways":1s8cgry7 said:

Fair shout :)
I recently replaced the brushes on someone else's SIP and that makes me agree 110% with Custard. I have no idea of the price of Lamello's as I don't follow them but they we on sale for a fair few years before the Domino was ever invented . I figure there maybe the chance of finding an old but good used tool if you have time to watch and wait.

I might be wrong.......but I believe the Festool patent on the Domino runs out this year.....a lot of copies are likely to be launched once it has, which cause the price to reduce.

deema":3ie7h42i said:
I might be wrong.......but I believe the Festool patent on the Domino runs out this year.....a lot of copies are likely to be launched once it has, which cause the price to reduce.

ooh that'd be good - I know Festool are the best but I'd buy a Makita cordless version in a shot

Selwyn":23iw43wm said:
I'd buy a Makita cordless version in a shot

I'm not sure about a cordless version; you need continuous dust extraction on a Domino to prevent the cutter overheating. So if you have to have a vac hose connected then you may as well have a power cable connected too.

Incidentally, I did read somewhere that the bearings on a Domino are bigger than those found on some table saws! Price led competitors risk abandoning the quality and precision that makes the machine desirable in the first place.

Back