Best sellers at craft shows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I know there is no one answer but was interested to know what people found to be their best sellers at craft shows

Girlfriend got me to help her with a stall today. selling handmade Christmas cards in front of a Santa's grotto. Bloody freezing, driving rain and not many public around. So to answer your question. Hand made cards DO NOT sell!

I don't make stuff to sell, but there is SO much good (not so!) common sense in what Claymore (Brian) has written above. Furthermore, he's poisted a couple of similar replies in thepast few years that I've been a member here, and the response from those who've tried it Brian's way has always been the same -"IT WORKS"!

So to the OP, or anyone else who fancies a go at making stuff to sell is simply "do all the above".

AES

(in this case a dis-interested bystander)

I would agree to a point, hand made cards have to be very unusual to sell these days, so many make their own

My daughters are wonderful and used to sell very well, but its much harder these days

bourbon":7uj5gr47 said:
Girlfriend got me to help her with a stall today. selling handmade Christmas cards in front of a Santa's grotto. Bloody freezing, driving rain and not many public around. So to answer your question. Hand made cards DO NOT sell!

Hi Brian

Many thanks, rather more than I was asking for but I am sure it will be very helpful to those who haven't seen it before

Totally agree and my stuff is generally unique, I would say that I have sold a fair amount via ebay though so wouldn't discount it entirely

As I am based in Cornwall, I suspect you can guess what my favourite local theme might be ;-)

I agree with your comment re sharing or posting certain items or patterns, quick as a flash they are copied as you say

I was more after some hints at what others find their quick sellers, just rooting about for fresh ideas really

Round here touristy shops all want everything for nothing and on free loan, ie impressed stock

Many thanks for your reply

Claymore said:
Here's part of my old post on here about selling your craftwork recently.
selling your work, forget Ebay etc as they are saturated with scroll saw work aswell as other craftwork and basically here in the UK we cannot compete with the foreigners on costs etc and they do and will copy virtually anything that they see selling well and we cannot do much about it BUT there is still a way to sell whatever you make AND get a good price and probably do away with posting anything which again is a good saving.
Where many people go wrong is by trying to compete with others making the same sort of thing and basically they all end up losing out because the items they make become "trends" so after maybe 12 months of selling the sales start

Not had a good year in my production due to family commitments but had a play - just recently had a run around the church fairs (tables at £5 to £7) to sell some pieces - I made 20 silver birch boxes on the bandsaw all sold - numerous tea lights both turned and salvaged wood some I thought lovely finished in natural wood or chalk painted; poor sellers , what sold best ! tea lights made from rotten salvaged wood !. Found an old 3 yard pine beam (I think) in a ditch, black wet rotten at the ends and where joints had been cut. Cut into pieces and cut various tea light into end grain and lumps 1, 2, 3 holes, simply wire brush and wax total 60ish all sold. I like Claymores comments ! I do woodworking for pleasure and no where cover total costs - with a bit more thought may break even.

Back