Best chuck system for threat M52

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominik Pierog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I bought lathe with spindle thread M52 and Morse no. 4.
Which chuck system with changed jaws you suggests for me?
Like that > http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ev ... ning-chuck

I bougth Gomad DNRA
12480440439f5014477971615_1.jpg

Mine is in worse condition and dont have Tool Rests and extra bed.

Be very careful if considering the Evolution Chuck, it does not have an ISO backplate and has its mounting thread in the chuck body, I'm not sure they even do a version that will fit your lathe spindle, although they may produce a special for you at a premium cost.

The other factor is that most versions do not have a rear collar sleeve to set the chuck forward of the spindle nose on many larger/older lathes it fouls the head casting.

I think you will need to concentrate on finding a wood turning chuck that takes an ISO backplate, the only one I know of is the Versa chuck from 'Toolpost' but that is only a 100mm diameter and it looks as though the machine image you have posted is fitted with a 125 or 150 mm chuck.

Am envious of you having found a Pattern Makers or at least a multi-function metal/wood lathe.

Mkay backplate...
Jaws montage system. I think there is 5 different systems and they don't fit to different chucks.
So I can become a slave to one system ...

About thread M52 is bigger than standards or smaller?
Is possible to make adapters?

They are horrible annoying creatures. Few times I found egg in worksop. They went up the stairs, through the door, through the corridor, through the next door.
And she lay the egg under the table.
8rjvFMz.jpg

Certain chucks for metalworking can be bought with woodturning-compatible jaws.

https://drechslershop.de/drechselfu...ra/zentra-drechselfutter-axminsterbacken.html

for example, is a 100 mm metalworking chuck with Axminster compatible jaws. The same supplier (Steinert) also has TOS chucks, which are a lot more expensive, but exist in 125 mm as well:

https://drechslershop.de/drechselfu...futter/vierbackenfutter/vierbackenfutter.html

For the baseplate, the part with the 52 mm thread, I'd advise to contact a local metalworker. Let him make it slightly oversize and turn it to size on your own lathe (you have the cross-support to do it). That way, you'll have the best precision possible. You could also buy the chuck locally and buy just the jaws from Steinert.

Of course, the same local metal worker can adapt jaws of a metalworking chuck you buy as well, provided he/she has the dimensions or an example of the jaws you want. Make sure you buy soft jaws with the chuck, because hard(ened) jaws are a lot harder to work on if at all possible.

I have 2 5" Zentra four jaw metalworking chucks which I have had made compatible to Vicmarc jaws - because commercial woodworking chucks for M45 thread couldn't be found and I had several sets of Vicmarc jaws already. Compared to the Vicmarc VM120 chuck, they weigh twice as much and are much more sturdy. For example, the Axminster chuck you link to has a black part on the back that is structurally next to nothing. A proper chuck/baseplate combination has a lot more material there - 10-15 mm of solid steel in my case.

Back