Best Bow Saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about the purchase a load of new Bow Saws for tree felling (20" - 30" blades). The Bahco ones with the screw tensioner are the best I have come across so are my default choice, however just want a quick check if anyone had any recommendations?

Depending on your use, have you considered silky saws? A bow saw might be best for what you're doing if you a cutting a lot of very big logs but a silky might be better if you're doing more branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are for felling (green/wet wood).

I defiantly want bow saws and not pruning saws, as they are used on trees mostly (we use billhooks and loppers for branches, which works fine).

Just want to know if there are any better than the Bahco's

bugbear":1re1pj07 said:
Rhyolith":1re1pj07 said:

Hell, yeah.

They're hard to get hold of though;

post926762.html?hilit=tyzack#p926762

:D

BugBear
Those look loverly! But, it will take to long to find to number we need (5-6)... Maybe I should re-phrase the question: Are there any new bow saws better than the Bahco's?

We tend to use Bacho saws fitted with wet wood blades, which make a big difference. We also have silky saws.
Plus chainsaws :D

Bacho are the best I have used in the past. Will beat a Silky for logging and the blades are somewhat cheaper :lol:

Rhyolith":g0221l7s said:
bugbear":g0221l7s said:
Rhyolith":g0221l7s said:

Hell, yeah.

BugBear
Those look loverly! But, it will take to long to find to number we need (5-6)... Maybe I should re-phrase the question: Are there any new bow saws better than the Bahco's?

I've bought everyone I've ever seen, and I've only bought 5 over the last decade; 2 have gone to friends, and the 3 in different sizes are MINE.

They're far from common.

BugBear

Beware of cheap chineese bow saws. Most that I have seen have too weak bows that cannot hold the blade tensioned well enough.

For heavy work Purmo bows are the best. They are way too heavy and clumsy for lighter work. They were made for full time loggers in the era before chainsaws and went out of production in the 60-ies or 70-ies so you have no chance of finding many enough. I have a dozen or so in the garage attic just in case I might need them......

For lighter work I like elderly 24" Sandvik bows. I suppose a 24" moderns Bahco would come pretty close......so go for them!

It seems my assumption about Bahco being the best modern maker was correct. So will be ordering those for the volunteers.

Might well keep at eye out for these older saws people are talking about for myself ;)

heimlaga":wyvmwepv said:
For heavy work Purmo bows are the best. They are way too heavy and clumsy for lighter work. They were made for full time loggers in the era before chainsaws and went out of production in the 60-ies or 70-ies so you have no chance of finding many enough. I have a dozen or so in the garage attic just in case I might need them....
Could you post a photo of these?

Rhyolith":3vnb8b9c said:
bugbear":3vnb8b9c said:
Rhyolith":3vnb8b9c said:

Hell, yeah.

BugBear
Six months later...

Tyzack Bow Saw by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Got this at the car boot this morning for £1.

Oh, well done.
=D> =D> =D>
I give you joy of your success.

Of course, knowing what to look for is half the art of car booting.

In other news, and by coincidence, I bought a small hand drill for a quid today.

#1530A

BugBear

bugbear":18p5b9pw said:
In other news, and by coincidence, I bought a small hand drill for a quid today.

#1530A

BugBear
North Brothers No.1530A? Thats one of my favourite tools, I think its probably the best small hand drill out there! £1 is ludicrous for one of those, but that is the power of the car boot ;) I think your in my neck of the woods, so there is a chance you got that at a boot I know, mind sharing which? (if it was a boot find). Is it in good condition?

I was delighted to find the Tyzack, particularly after the rest of the boots had been really quite scarce of anything interesting.

Back