Bespoke picture frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a birthday. Well, it happens.

A little while before that, I went with a friend to an exhibition of works by French artist Olivier Leger. Well, he sounds French, but he's actually from Loughborough. At first sight they looked like ordinary pen and ink drawings, but each picture had a magnifying glass hanging next to it, so that we could look more closely. Every picture was made up of thousands of very tiny images of other objects – mushrooms, trees, galloping horses, planets – you name it, there's one in there somewhere. They were wonderful. So you can imagine my delight when I was given a giclée print as a birthday present. It was unframed and, fortunately, not as large as the original, but at 770 x 560mm it is not a small picture, so such a special picture calls for a special frame.

I've been given something else recently, too. All my next-door-neighbour's mahogany window frames. Some of the wood is rotten, there are lots of holes in it and it's all weathered, so doesn't look very pretty at first sight, but it cleans up surprisingly well, and providing that I'm canny about the way I use it, I can get sizes out of it to get just what I want.

The moulding is a fabrication of five strips of wood, two plain rectangular section and three staff bead section, made using a roundover bit on the router table. When I made up a sample, I discovered that it was quite tricky to keep all five pieces aligned during glue-up, so I decided that an alignment spline down the length would be a good idea.

section.png

Using my featherboard fence on my tablesaw, I cut a shallow groove down the strips. The two outside staff beads are grooved on one face only, the other 3 pieces are milled on both faces. The featherboard fence keeps them tight down on the table and in to the fence at the same time.

P1050443.JPG

The grooves are not quite 4mm deep, so the keys need to be a little over 7mm wide and 2.8mm thick. I wouldn't normally rip anything as narrow as 2.8mm, but with a zero-clearance insert and featherboard it wasn't as hairy as it would have been without.

P1050444.JPG

I didn't rip the strips to 7mm on the tablesaw, however, they were just too thin for that, but it was fine on the bandsaw.

The four sides were glued up, separately, using as many clamps as I could get on.

P1050447.JPG

P1050451.JPG

One of them turned out to be a little cupped, but I had plenty of thickness so I simply put them all through the thicknesser.

At this point I did something stupid. I set up my dado stack to cut a rebate and then forgot to use it. Instead I gave all the pieces a coat of primer. It was no big deal, but it did mean that I had to leave my saw set up in dado mode until I could handle the workpieces again.

P1050453.JPG

If you don't have a dado stack, you can do exactly the same job with a router (it will be just as quick, if you include the setup time), but the dado does give a beautifully clean cut with no tearout.

P1050455.JPG

Attachments

• P1050443.JPG
    P1050443.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • P1050444.JPG
    P1050444.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • section.png
    section.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,014
  • P1050447.JPG
    P1050447.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,014
  • P1050451.JPG
    P1050451.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • P1050453.JPG
    P1050453.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • P1050455.JPG
    P1050455.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,014
Then it was over to the mitre saw for the corners. It seems easy enough, just cut them to the right length and glue up. Hmm.
The first thing that is a problem is marking out. Ideally I would lay the work flat on its back, so that the top faces are clean and any breakout is on the back. But measuring the length is easier on the back, because I can measure inside the rebate and still see my mark when cutting.

So I opted for cutting it upside down. There was a little tear-out, it's true, but as this is going to have a textured paint finish, I wasn't too upset about it.

P1050461.JPG

There is another way I could have done it. I could measure the width of the land on the back, that is the overall width (68mm) minus the rebate (10mm), so in my case 58mm. The workpieces must all be twice this (116mm) longer than the aperture size, 886 x 676 measured mitre point to mitre point. The only problem in this case is that the outside edge is a roundover, so there is no hard corner on which to mark.

Whichever way I do it there are pros and cons, but I'm happy with the way I chose.

But then I found another problem. My mitres were not 45 degrees.

I have the big Bosch 12” Axiglide. It's very nice in many, many ways. It has indents that lock positively at various angles, including, of course, 45 degrees. But when I tested them with my mitre square they were out. Quite a lot out, actually, more like 46 or 47. So when clamped up tight the inside corner was less than 90, and if the two piece were put together at 90 I had a gap at the inside corner. I still haven't found out how to adjust my saw to fix this.

So it was time to get out my shooting board. Mine has a fixed fence, but I can clamp a secondary fence to it, hard against the fixed fence, and shoot against that.

P1050462.JPG

P1050463.JPG

A mitre fence is, by definition, 50% end-grain and it is very hard on the blade. I was having to re-hone the edge on every face. But I soon had them all spot on.

P1050464.JPG

Commercially, picture frames are pinned together with V-shaped staples, but this one is big enough to get a biscuit in. Holding the workpiece against a couple of bench dogs eliminates the need to clamp every one.

P1050469.JPG

P1050466.JPG

These days I prefer to clamp the corners one at a time. Yes, it does take a lot longer, but I have greater control. I use a pair of clamping pennants, triangles of wood glued to slats.

P1050465.JPG

These are clamped to the two parts being glued, then another clamp tightened across them. It means that the pressure is directly across the joint.

P1050471.JPG

Although it was all tight on the front, I was disappointed to find that the back was not so tight. Not awful, and this is going to be painted, but annoying all the same. Also one corner was not quite as flush as I would have liked, but a few passes with my little hand router soon fixed that.

P1050479.JPG

The frame was square and flat, just what I want.

Attachments

• P1050461.JPG
    P1050461.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050462.JPG
    P1050462.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050463.JPG
    P1050463.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050464.JPG
    P1050464.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050469.JPG
    P1050469.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050466.JPG
    P1050466.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050465.JPG
    P1050465.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050471.JPG
    P1050471.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1050479.JPG
    P1050479.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 1,004
While the glue was curing I turned my attention to how I was going to hang this. I could just attach a piece of string, but this is deserving of something better. I'm going to use a French Cleat. One beveled piece is screwed to the wall, a complementary bevelled piece is screwed to the back of the frame, and a kicker keeps the bottom off the wall by the same thickness as the cleats. A well as being more secure than a piece of string, I can make one of the mounting holes oversize, which means I shall have ±5mm adjustment for level, and if I can't drill my holes any more precisely then that then it is time to give up.

P1050473.JPG

So the cleat that is screwed to the wall has one normal countersunk 4mm hole, and one 12mm hole counterbored at 35mm, deep enough to accommodate a screwhead and washer.

P1050474.JPG

P1050476.JPG

P1050478.JPG

With the frame glued up, I set about applying the finish. It is a stone-effect paint that comes in an aerosol can. It's funny stuff, but works very well. When dry, it looks and feels like stone.

To install the picture in the frame I went to visit my old friend Brian. We used to be neighbours, so it was a good excuse to catch up. He has done a lot of framing and has all the right tools, such as a flat-nailer. It fires flat pins into the rebate and does not need very much reveal to work. So we have frame, glass, picture, 2mm MDF backing board, flat nails, paper tape.

The French Cleat is screwed to the wall and the oversized hole enables me to get it perfectly level.

IMG_20180315_131740382.jpg

Its mate is screwed to the back of the frame, along with the kicker. I glued the Certificate of Authenticity to the back, hung it up and stood back.

IMG_20180314_172543932.jpg

IMG_20180313_104514402.jpg

Even if I say so myself, it looks pretty darned good.

Attachments

• P1050473.JPG
    P1050473.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 999
  • P1050474.JPG
    P1050474.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 999
  • P1050476.JPG
    P1050476.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 999
  • P1050478.JPG
    P1050478.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_20180315_131740382.jpg
    IMG_20180315_131740382.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_20180314_172543932.jpg
    IMG_20180314_172543932.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_20180313_104514402.jpg
    IMG_20180313_104514402.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 999
Nice, Pete.

Got a photo of that weird paint can? (Can that the weird paint came in, not weird can with paint.......sod it.......you know what I mean! :) )

Nice thread, Steve!
I need to learn about picture framing, myself, so this has been quite interesting and useful!
I'll be hand-tooling it, though, if I can get good enough with my 050C combo plane.

Steve Maskery":lnwqwd3e said:
The first thing that is a problem is marking out. Ideally I would lay the work flat on its back, so that the top faces are clean and any breakout is on the back.
Could you have laid the work on its edge and put the breakout on the inside, perhaps?
I guess it depends if the saw rolls as well as yaws?

A mitre fence is, by definition, 50% end-grain and it is very hard on the blade. I was having to re-hone the edge on every face.
Ouch - Good to know!
Mental note made...

Also one corner was not quite as flush as I would have liked, but a few passes with my little hand router soon fixed that.
Hey, a very valid reason to justify buying one of these - I've been after one just because, but now I have an answer for the wife!! :lol:

So the flat nails go... through the backing board and into the rebate? Have I understood that right?

Great result, Steve!

Tasky":3d8h9wi4 said:
Steve Maskery":3d8h9wi4 said:
The first thing that is a problem is marking out. Ideally I would lay the work flat on its back, so that the top faces are clean and any breakout is on the back.
Could you have laid the work on its edge and put the breakout on the inside, perhaps?
I guess it depends if the saw rolls as well as yaws?
Yes, I could. The tilt is very accurate, and adjustable, but the swing appears to be fixed. I did ring Bosch, but the only info they could give me was how to change the angle, not how to fettle it. Otherwise it is a case of packing it up and sending it off to Bosch!

Tasky":3d8h9wi4 said:
So the flat nails go... through the backing board and into the rebate? Have I understood that right?

No, Tasky, that is not right. The flat pins are shot into the side of the rebate, holding the backing board in tight.
Inmes-Fi-150M-Flexipoint-Driver-7793-02.png.ashx

You can see one just behind his thumb.

This is possible because the thickness of glass (2mm), picture (<1mm) and backing board (2mm) add up to <5mm, but the rebate is 10mm deep.

Steve Maskery":wbkxp39o said:
MikeG.":wbkxp39o said:
Oh nuts. How did I do that? Or is it just that you and Racers are interchangeable? :lol: Anyway, sorry.......

I won't take offence if Pete doesn't. :D

No offence taken :D

Nice work Steve.

Pete

Steve Maskery":4873f63y said:
Yes, I could. The tilt is very accurate, and adjustable, but the swing appears to be fixed.
Oh... Can you not set it to, say, 48º or 52º if you wanted, then?
I'd have thought you could do it that same way but just set it for 45º (maybe checking with a square/sliding bevel) and sort-of bypass the indents?
If you know how much it's out by, can you mod the back fence... or is it just not worth it?

Steve Maskery":4873f63y said:
No, Tasky, that is not right. The flat pins are shot into the side of the rebate, holding the backing board in tight.
You can see one just behind his thumb.
It shoots sideways? Cool!
What would you do if you didn't have one of these? Just use something like panel pins in the same way?

So what governed the decision to joint the frame from five smaller pieces of wood instead of routing one single piece? Was it just whatever sizes you were left with after cleaning up the rotten window frames?

Tasky":j2fn8vq4 said:
What would you do if you didn't have one of these? Just use something like panel pins in the same way?

If the frame's made from a harder wood then you can use panel pins and a little warrington hammer, but generally frames are made from the softer end of the hardwood spectrum, and then you can just push home glazing sprigs with a device like this,

https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk ... wE#SID=167

If you buy frame material as ready made mouldings it normally consists of a Tulipwood core with a plastic wrap, hand pushed sprigs are a doddle with that. If you use one of the guns like Steve illustrated it's good practise to have something on the other side of the moulding, like a cloth wrapped brick or a big lump of timber, to help absorb the shock. Otherwise the force of the gun can open up the mitres.

Tasky":snke5ut1 said:
Steve Maskery":snke5ut1 said:
Yes, I could. The tilt is very accurate, and adjustable, but the swing appears to be fixed.
Oh... Can you not set it to, say, 48º or 52º if you wanted, then?
I'd have thought you could do it that same way but just set it for 45º (maybe checking with a square/sliding bevel) and sort-of bypass the indents?
If you know how much it's out by, can you mod the back fence... or is it just not worth it?
Yes, but the whole point of indents is that they are easy, accurate and consistent. At the mo I just have the first and the last :(

Tasky":snke5ut1 said:
So what governed the decision to joint the frame from five smaller pieces of wood instead of routing one single piece? Was it just whatever sizes you were left with after cleaning up the rotten window frames?

Well that particular shape would be pretty difficult to do with a router. Possible with some pretty hefty spindle moulder tooling, I suppose. But it was mainly that, given my starting material, if I wanted that profile, this seemed the best approach for a home woody.

Racers":u04nug0r said:
Steve Maskery":u04nug0r said:
MikeG.":u04nug0r said:
Oh nuts. How did I do that? Or is it just that you and Racers are interchangeable? :lol: Anyway, sorry.......

I won't take offence if Pete doesn't. :D

No offence taken :D

Nice work Steve.

Pete

I've always wondered why I've never seen Pete and Steve in the same room. :lol:

Neil

Back