Bench grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have not posted for a while. But I am hoping for some advice on bench grinders.

I currently have a Lidl grinder which is fine but my sharpening is not that great. I use it for wood turning and normal chisels. It only has one wheel, the other is belt sander (does not work that well). So I am limited in upgrading it. Something that I should have thought about when I bought it. It will do my father in law for sharpening the garden shears.

I also have a wet wheeled (scheppach), which does not run very true on the axsis and takes far too long to do anything worthwhile. I regretted that purchase as well.

So my next step in getting better results was to ditch the current ones and get a new bench grinder and upgrade the wheels.

I have had a look at the Axminster ones and they seem too expensive for what they are (the trade ones). I then went to look at record but not they no longer have any. I have asked them if they will be bringing them out again (probably go for the 6 inch). I like their old ones as they already had one decent (enough) wheel and I think record customer service is very good (similar level to Axminster).

So my main thought currently is to wait for record to bring out a new model and go for that. Does any one have any suggestions of similar grinders that I should consider?

Paul

I have had a slow speed Creusen for the past 20 years, yes expensive but it has proved money well spent over the years with fast accurate results. I to have tried cheaper grinders and a wet wheel back in the day but the Creusen beats them all hands down. like I said not a cheap outlay but well worth it IMHO

Thank you for replying, which model do you have? The main thing that would sway me from the record or the Axminster ones would be bring able to have dual 40mm wheels, I don't think the old record ones could.

For everybody's information, I got a reply from Record (I am sure they won't mind me sharing it).

Thank you for contacting us.
We are bringing out an upgrade to the 8" later this year, however the 6" will be the same and we have just stock arrive last week. Good grinder 6" more than enough, also means if you want buy CBN wheels or any others they are cheaper in 6".
Hope this helps.

Back