bench and chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info , its a great help, While I now know what hardwoods are good for the top of the bench can I use any softwood for the frame and go for the cheapest ?
I have found a set of marple chisels , however they are branded as record marples are these the same and of the same quality ?
Thanks again to all for your help.

Hi Paul,

I've moved this into the hand tools section mainly for the chisel question, hope that's okay?

For the bench frame, hardwood is best, but softwood works out fine in practice. The key is wide stretchers to resist racking. To replace the frame of a 4' Sjoberg (sp? :? ) bench I used ordinary builder's sponge - I mean softwood. :wink: Left to dry for a long time mind you. Laminated up a couple of 4x2s for the legs and end stretchers and used some 3/4 x 8" stuff I hand handy for the long stretchers. It certainly doesn't walk around the floor :lol:

Are Record Marples the same as Marples? Depends what age of Marples you mean. Assuming you're comparing modern with modern, then almost certainly they are the same quality. Not necessarily good quality though :( When you say "found", are we talking at-the-back-of-the-shed-and-will-cost-me-nothing found? In which case great, use 'em for all the rough tasks. If it's found as in on-a-website-for-£39.99 then probably best to walk away.

Cheers, Alf

Back