Bed build WIP (Completed.)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m building a bed for my daughter. Here’s the story so far and I’ll add more as I go.

The design is fairly simple as this 2D sketch shows (I need to get up to speed with Sketch-up….!).

3355205099_cd2547c389_b.jpg

I’ve chosen Oak. This was the first opportunity for me to use my new thicknesser in anger.

3355184671_8511a231bf_b.jpg

… a quick scan for blade chipping aliens and a brush down to remove surface grit is always wise….!

3355184107_3fa9102f64_b.jpg

I bought the timber from WL West in Petworth and was able to rummage through the extensive piles of saw timber in their sheds and pull out suitable pieces and check them as I went to ensure they were reasonably true. This saves me a lot of workshop time as I was simply able to square off the timber on the table saw before running through the thicknesser. The end results were very pleasing.

3355183503_ccdfabf18a_b.jpg

The DX4000 is the perfect partner for a thicknesser. This was empy before I started.

3356001708_453b494cb6_b.jpg

I chose to make the heart panels first because I couldn’t visualise the finished size and I couldn’t start to mark up the top and bottom rails for the head and foot boards. I hand drew half a heart on a piece of MDF and rough cut it before sanding with various size drums mounted in bench top drill press. You can see it at the bottom of this picture before I glued 2 guides on to make a cradle. The rough cut parts can also be seen in this picture.

3355178999_fa72479ab4_b.jpg

I trued up the edges on my small benchtop planer (oops, no guard) before re-sawing them to give a book matched finish. I then machined them down to the final dimension .

3355178441_8be5cfabfd_b.jpg

3355178077_ab395b31a7_b.jpg

I marked each heart half out and then removed the bulk of the waste by making a series of cuts on the band saw.

3355191379_9b3fe45b6c_b.jpg

Then I routed out the final shape on the router table using a top bearing pattern bit. In this picture you can see the 2 guides I glued to the heart template and this allowed me to hold the piece on the template without any mechanical fixing. I clamped a 100mm hose to the edge of the table to catch the worst of the dust and with both motors running on the DX this proved very effective.

3356009686_8ef93bc8ae_b.jpg

The panels are 11mm thick and I was concerned that this may be too thin for biscuits, but a test piece seemed to hold up well.
3356008102_fd9b11d0d6_b.jpg

Insufficient clamps of a suitable size meant the glue up was done in 2 parts. I was very pleased with the end result.

3355188605_80ea43d3b7_b.jpg

Once these were dry I cut the tennons using my small shop made sled with a stop block clamped to it to ensure accuracy on the shoulders. I've found this sled to be very accurate as it runs in both mitre slots without any sideways movement and makes up for the woefully poor fit of the standard Scheppach mitre gauge. I made multiple passes to rough cut the cheeks and then removed the perspex guard, raised the bladed and made the final shoulder cuts with the same stop block in place.

3355188141_cd6e5312a0_b.jpg

3355187711_7d2e255467_b.jpg

I cleaned up the cheeks a little, but will fine tune them later once the mortices were cut. You can see the book matching in this photo. I’m pleased I took the extra time to do this.

3356005540_aefe240f24_b.jpg

With the panels all cut I could mark out for the mortices on the top rails.

3356004962_4f9ebd6989_b.jpg

The first few mortices were cut by making a series of small chops and then slowly cutting out the waste, but this was painful, so I resorted to a set-up on the drill press. I have a morticer, but it is currently not mounted anywhere and my smallest chisel is too big. I reused this method to cut the mortices on the bottom rails, but not before more marking out.

3355185935_61c82b1f14_b.jpg

3355180907_53f0cf3245_b.jpg

3355999278_6222345b71_b.jpg

Once both sets of top and bottom rails were cut I started work on the legs. The tennons on the bottom rails were cut on the sled as before and the mortices in the leg (actually just 1 leg as I ran out of time) were cut using a similar set-up as before on the drill press.

3356995217_b28c6d3c30_b.jpg

I couldn’t resist a quick dry fit before packing up for the weekend. I bet you’re all wondering what the joint method is on the top of the leg… Me too. More about this next time.

Jon

3356996491_a8e6c5742a_b.jpg

Looking really good so far, I'm sure your daughter will be very pleased with your efforts.

The book matching looks good, well worth the work involved.

regards

Brian

Nice work. I especially like the tenoning jig. Just a small point, you could have laid the 4 "heart" pieces next to each other to glue them up and used a caul to keep them flat.

Lovely work, I also liked the shop, I think I've read your build thread on here. Looks like a lovely area to work in.

Looking good, it's good for me to be able to look at somebody else's work on a similar jod to the one I'm on at the moment. I wish I was working with oak though! :roll: The stain should do for me me though. :lol: Looking at your pictures..... I'm wondering if the "capping" I'm intended on putting across the top of my head board, should be M+T. My problem would be that I could only M+T on the ends though.... also the capping is only 15mm. I was originally thinking of just glue and pinning it on. Any ideas? As looking at your work has inspired me to think it should be a traditional joint.

So now I've calmed down a bit I can own up to the mistake and answer Joiner-Sim's question in a single hit...

The joint on the top of the led is supposed to be wedged through tennon. But in my haste I cut the rail mortice before allowing the the extra length for the tennon.... D'oh. I see I have 3 options.

1. Another leg. This may actually work out OK as the foot board legs are shorter but my 4 blanks are the same length so I may be able to reuse this one for the foot board and then start again. Only issue is that there is some splitting on the the other legs and I was intending cutting this out so maybe they are not long enough.

2. Screw and plug the leg. I actually quite like this idea as it gives mechanical resistance to the top pulling away from the leg, but would need something to resist twisting. (Joiner-Sim, I'd suggest this to you in favour of glue and pins, but 15mm may not be deep enough. If you're adventurous then go for wedged through tennons in my opinion)

3. Stick with the tennon idea, but make it a loose tapered through tennon that is inserted from the top. Maybe even make it heart shaped, but my daughter will have probably left home before that's done.

Suggestions welcome.

Jon

Screw and plug with 2 screws, then cover them with a fake through tenon or maybe a heart shaped blank?

Nice design, John, I'm sure your daughter will love it as well! :D

Dust extraction is good on the router table but, where's the guarding??? :shock: [-X :wink: I love the book-matching. If it was me, I probably would've edge-jointed the boards before shaping the hearts. Otherwise, the pieces could slide in the cramps...

Then again, you cannot buy a cutter narrow enough to get right in to those corners and, it's more likely you'd end up putting a biscuit in the wrong place! :D

I look forward to seeing more progress. :)

OPJ":2ehf9qgf said:
Then again, you cannot buy a cutter narrow enough to get right in to those corners
:)

personally i'd probably have used a scroll saw to cut the hearts out. (tho that said my skills arent up to this kind of thing yet anyway so who am i to criticise)

jyates":3e9lca0o said:
3. Stick with the tennon idea, but make it a loose tapered through tennon that is inserted from the top. Maybe even make it heart shaped, but my daughter will have probably left home before that's done.
I did precisely this same thing with a crib I made for my baby (square though, not heart shaped :D), work perfectly so I would go with the loose tenon if it was me. It is ultimately the same result and will be just as strong as if the tenon was attached.

Cheers

Mark

It’s taken a while to get the bed completed. Partly due to lack of time, partly because I’m slow and partly because I had to build this in time for a birthday.

3539836188_8c53299c44_o.jpg

After leaving the leg too short for a through tennon I decided to go with the screw and plug solution and opted for 2 chunky screws (6mm x 100mm) with T-Star heads so I could pull them down nice and tight. Later on I decide I don’t like the round plugs and get the chisels out.

3539833976_83ea5a593f_o.jpg

Before the head and foot boards were glued up I needed to fit the long rails using the dowel bolts and half moon thingamajigs. I decided to secure some 15mm beech dowels into the ends of the long rails to carry the load whilst the bolts would pull up the joint. Getting the alignment spot on was essential so I made a jig to guide the drilling of the holes in the ends of the rails and the legs.

3539830072_82649494be_o.jpg

The jig was double sided for the leg…

3539829536_804ffb0978_o.jpg

…and the rail. The jig also catered for the bolt holes.

3539015493_921cbc5ecc_o.jpg

I was pleased with the end result.

3539016133_cd7ac567b7_o.jpg

3539827746_df317ceee5_o.jpg

Following a complete dry fit I sanded all the parts before getting ready for glue up. Is it just me that finds glue ups stressful?

3539012797_7d35bf19a6_o.jpg

Whilst in the clamps I put some dowels through the tennons that join the legs and head/foot board rails for a bit of extra security. The plugged ends would be hidden by the mattress once assembled.

3539825282_27c0b469dd_o.jpg

I mentioned earlier that I didn’t like the plugs that covered the screws so I chopped them out and re-plugged with square end grain plugs (fake tennons..).

3539007519_677a7a413f_b.jpg

The supports for the slats were clamped together and recesses cut out for the slats to sit in. The supports are 18mm ply and the slats are 12mm ply. The supports were then glued and screwed to the long rails.

3539817424_ac66ece12e_b.jpg

After a few coats of oil and some wax the bed was assembled.

3539815656_2f4865343b_b.jpg

I decided to screw the slats down which is probably a little OTT, but can’t do any harm.

3539814206_b480874389_b.jpg

The bed is very solid and I’m pleased I switched to the fake tennons instead of the round plugs.

3538999997_922f4ca0c2_b.jpg

All I need now is for the mattress to turn up.

3538998731_57b3e82ace_b.jpg

Jon

Jon that is lovely. I have a little girl who would love that bed. Very nice work indeed. I paticularly like the square pegs, they look intentional were as round plugs always look like a cover up (if that makes sense!).

Thanks for sharing.

Excellent work, Jon. Really like those square end-grain plugs and the use of your drilling jig. Look forward to seeing your next project. :)

Very nice - brings back memories of when I made my own daughter's bed. No doubt your daughter is over the moon :)

Dave

Jon,
That's a really nice bed. I missed it first time around. I've been using the forum search to try and get inspiration for a couple of beds I'm about to start for my two daughters. Hope you don't mind but I think I've just found that inspiration. Any chance you could post some dimensions or any other advice with the design?
Regards,
Neil.

Back