Bargain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Highly durable and stable"...
Yeah, because you screw it to the flippin' wall!!!

Seriously, five hundred quid for that??!! HOW???!!!
If I could get five hundred quid from making pish like this, I'd be driving my own sports motoryacht to work every morning!!!

In normal use that table is probably less use than a one-legged man in an a** kicking competition (no insult intended to those of us with less than two legs)

I don't disagree that they have found a way to get a pleasantly wide margin between the cost of production and the retail price. :)

The serious point is, that when a bunch of woodworkers see it, we think about the cost of a few boards and a pair of legs. Not a lot!

When an ordinary person sees it, or someone who is thinking hard about interior design, they see something which is elegant, a little bit surprising and will fit into an ordinary small house. People don't want to just buy a table, they want to buy a new look for their home. They don't even care if it's solid oak or veneered MDF.

Don't sell the sausage, sell the sizzle!

That is spot on, Andy, and in a nutshell that is the reason why so many wannabe furniture makers fail. Making furniture is dead easy compared with selling it, and selling it is dead easy compared to selling it for a decent profit. If someone can come up with something like this, and it sells, then good luck to them. And I'd remind everyone here that we all had the opportunity of coming up with that idea ourselves, and we didn't. S/he did, so deserves the profit from that idea.

If you can get somebody to buy that piece at that price, fair play to you.

I do wonder how much Christina L. Halstrom (if she exists) makes out of though. I guess a pretty large chunk of that retail price goes to the dealer to pay for their swanky London premises.

With a Swedish mother and Danish father, Christina Liljenberg Halstrøm shows her Nordic roots in her designs through a minimalistic approach and strong combinations of materials like wood, leather and wool

I'd hate to see how much she charges when she uses three materials and not just wood!

I like that it is "made to order in 6-8 weeks". To fix two legs to a board. Someone works even more slowly than me.

Now! If that were I buying it I would go straight for the desk. Several Danskie Bitters and it would stand up with or without the wall 8) 8)

https://www.masterofmalt.com/bitters/ga ... m-bitters/

If you could ever like that drink then the table or the desk would really suite you too? Me? I would rather drink paraffin :shock:

Bargen (that's Danisch fer Good price ?)

I just wish I had more offcuts of oak - these

hook_01.jpg

are £67 each!

(It's a coat hook, btw.)

AndyT":1rgyyu8e said:
I just wish I had more offcuts of oak - these

hook_01.jpg

are £67 each!

(It's a coat hook, btw.)

From the user guide:

Description
Holt oak coat hook.
Performance
• Suitable for interior applications (Also available for external applications on request).
• Unifying super circular design with sculptured hook profile.
• Lacquered finish that is easy to clean and maintain.
• Secret face fixing.
• 63% lower embodied energy than comparable stainless steel products.

Production and Materials
The Holt coat hook is crafted in the UK from FSC accredited oak and then precision finished with 5% matt interior lacquer. Durable steel components
are inserted into the coat hook to provide the base strength for the secret face fixing.

There's a bit of marketing and eco speak in there, which we all love. It does have hidden steel fixings though, so it's not just a 3x3x4cm chunk of wood that would normally go in the woodburner.

Well, im sitting here trying to work out a pricing structure for my wooden clocks, wooden kitchen stuff and coat hooks for my first craft sale tomorrow. Going on that pricing I'll only have to do one show and I'll be retiring on Sunday morning............dom

Quite ridiculous pricing for the coat hooks, I do find the shape rather pleasing though, I'll probably make my own rather than buy in, half a dozen would be rather expensive!

Back