Bandsaw shopping, £600 budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do trust and respect the experience of the people here saying my choice doesn't compare in quality/performance to a 120kg+ Startrite etc machine but you have to be lucky to have a) the space b) one nearby, c) a way of getting it home! I currently don't have any of that.

Maybe one day when I've got my own dedicated workshop (at moment I have 2/3 of a garage!) I'll try and pick up a 352. I think until then I'm gonna plump for this Charnwood model.

Thanks for your replies chaps!

I was going to suggest the Axminster HBS310N, but it seems they've stopped doing that one... bit of a worry, as it's the one I have. Hopefully it's not been withdrawn through problems, or anything... It was on-point for the budget, as well and would do everything you specified.

Personally, I'd strongly suggest you go with an Axy 350 - It's about the right budget, they deliver, there are a number of owners on here who can help with fettling.... but more than that, Axminster really are very good at and very dedicated to sorting things out for you if there's a problem.
If you aren't able to go for a Startrite, then Axy is pretty much your best bet.

Chuck whatever blade comes with it and get some Tuffsaw ones as soon as possible, though!!

The smaller startrite ie 301 would be perfect for you. The bandsaws your looking at don't really compare with British made quality.
There usually good for cutting sticks.

OscarG":2lwxswto said:
I think until then I'm gonna plump for this Charnwood model.

Just wondered whether you got round to pulling the trigger on the Charnwood BS350, and, if so, what your early impressions are? I’m after a similar budget/size bandsaw, so I’ve read through all this advice here with interest.

Tasky":2lwxswto said:
I was going to suggest the Axminster HBS310N, but it seems they've stopped doing that one... bit of a worry, as it's the one I have. Hopefully it's not been withdrawn through problems, or anything... It was on-point for the budget, as well and would do everything you specified.

Personally, I'd strongly suggest you go with an Axy 350 - It's about the right budget, they deliver, there are a number of owners on here who can help with fettling.... but more than that, Axminster really are very good at and very dedicated to sorting things out for you if there's a problem.

I might be wrong, but when I looked not too long ago I thought Axminster had a wide range of bandsaws throughout the Hobby series range, including the up to the larger 350 model. It now looks like they are only offering the smaller 200/250 models – so not sure what happened there.

i just checked axminster site and youre right. I suspect there will be a new range available soon. Theres lots of talk about new bandsaws from a few companies. maybe the chinese whinging has filtered through?

600 quid, and your looking at those yolks? :lol:
You could get a nice machine like a used hammer n400 for that, and a VFD to run it on a 13a supply..
and thats at the small side of things...
If I was in your shoes I would be looking for a 20" machine, as you could get those in a car, and
about 200 kgs, easily manageable to swing around if you take the table off.
Three phase machines are twice as good and half the price, and easier to run also.
As long as it says 240v on the motor, your good to go!
All you need is buy a cheap VFD for a hundred quid, and have at it.

A small machine will have the same footprint as a 20"
Try finding someone who gives out about their bandsaw being too big, likes what you hear about tablesaws
Tom

Ttrees":yu9fwoad said:
If I was in your shoes I would be looking for a 20" machine, as you could get those in a car, and about 200 kgs, easily manageable to swing around if you take the table off.

One of the main limitations against heavier and larger machines is that its going in a garden workshop, and there’s no side access around the house so it’s coming through the front door. The benefit of new is that it’ll be delivered and I may also get it carried to where I want it, but obviously the downside is cost. I’m happy to consider second hand, but it's got to be realistically moveable.

sunnybob":yu9fwoad said:
i just checked axminster site and youre right. I suspect there will be a new range available soon. Theres lots of talk about new bandsaws from a few companies. maybe the chinese whinging has filtered through?

For me the bandsaw is probably a luxury/non-essential item (i.e. I've managed without one), so I reckon I’ll hold off for now and see if any manufacturer’s new releases become available whilst also keeping my eye on the convenient second hand market.

J_Ashley":1drz5fn9 said:
Ttrees":1drz5fn9 said:
If I was in your shoes I would be looking for a 20" machine, as you could get those in a car, and about 200 kgs, easily manageable to swing around if you take the table off.

One of the main limitations against heavier and larger machines is that its going in a garden workshop, and there’s no side access around the house so it’s coming through the front door. The benefit of new is that it’ll be delivered and I may also get it carried to where I want it, but obviously the downside is cost. I’m happy to consider second hand, but it's got to be realistically moveable.

A bandsaw is a slim tool, and very realistically moveable with the table taken off, which you would be doing anyway/assembling.
You seem to think that you will be deadlifting solid 200kgs, thats far from the truth, because when the table is off .. thats third knocked off the weight..and then its just a really spread load so you can lift it from anywhere...slide it into a hatchback and in through your house on its spine.
I can gently let a 200kg bandsaw down on its spine with one hand for the most part until the top is got down to my chest and easily lay it down with the two hands...
the weight is at the bottom of the saw ...a bandsaw can be tipped over pretty easy.
I actually found the crappy wee elektra becum bas315 to be more awkward to move, than a startrite 502e because the smaller the saw the more of a lump it is, compared to being spread out
and really grapple-able

Another reason for a bigger saw is it will be substantially quieter as you need a stout frame for a wide blade like at least a 1/2" or else the blade will not have any beam strength so you will be rubbing off the thrust guides screeching away wearing things prematurely with everyone annoyed including yourself, instead of making nice quiet smooth reliable cutsbeing able to actually use the fence instead of trying to follow a line and all the hassle that comes with that
My 2 cents
Tom

I appreciate the advice, and, given I’m in no hurry, I’ll at least give some more consideration to the second-hand market for larger/heavier options. Since I’ve not looked at this area of the bandsaw market much, do you have any rough models in mind? From the little I’ve looked Hammer bandsaws look quite pricey (at least when new), and then also hard to find second hand.

Hi
For that money a Startrite 352, but to me much more preferably a machine with 400mm sized, cast iron wheels would be at the start of the list, up to a machine with 500mm sized wheels would be on my radar.
Weight is the best indicator of how strong it will be, because you want a stiff frame for a 3/4" blade.
Don't for a second, believe manufacturers wild claims! they make statements but fail to claim what gauge blade they're talking about, so you know their taking drivel.
For instance a 20" machine should be 200kg
I Believe its not allowed/frowned upon to post links from the likes of eBay, or gumtree.
Look for bandsaw and band saw.
FWIW what its worth I run a 3 phase 24" bandsaw on a 13a plug with no issues whatsoever, but my single phase 1 hp drill will dim the lights on startup.
And the footprint gets large with the 24" compared to the 20" bandsaw,
as the 20" is similar to the wee ones you see on splaying stands.
As long as it says 240v on the motor you can grab yourself a bargain.
The modern 3 phase ones by most brands will have dual voltage motors, as will the Italian style.
The Wadkin's are too heavy and also with motors that are not plug and play.
Had a look on the sites mentioned with no avail, but I normally see one or two when this question comes up...maybe theirs another site in the UK these days?

Tom

J_Ashley":fjyxh010 said:
Just wondered whether you got round to pulling the trigger on the Charnwood BS350, and, if so, what your early impressions are? I’m after a similar budget/size bandsaw, so I’ve read through all this advice here with interest.

Hi there.

I didn't get it in the end. I thought about what Custard and others mentioned about weight, bearings and the virtue of older, heavier 2nd hand machines, so I decided to hold back for a while and keep an eye on ebay. I was lucky to pick up a great condition second hand Kity 513 for £200. Although basic and a little smaller than the BS350 it's about the same weight, it feels reassuringly heavy for it's size and many of the like for like stats are similar. It's great to use and cuts like a champ. I'm so pleased with it and it saved me nearly £400! Seen a few Kity 613 machines knocking about on ebay.

I'm happy to send pics if you'd like to know more about it.

Sorry, not terribly helpful for your question! If you do decide to go for the Charnwood, this was the cheapeast I've seen it, £581 > https://www.poolewood.co.uk/product/cha ... dsaw-b350/

memzey":2sparwam said:
Seriously- I know I’ve said it before but for the kind of money that you are looking to spend I doubt that you are going to get a better machine than a used Startrite 352. Well designed, well made (in England) from high quality components and plentiful in the second hand market. What’s not to like?
Well, there's the point that it's only plentiful in the UK second hand market - I've never seen one up for sale second hand in Ireland for example. New ones, sure, but if buying new here you pretty much go record power 350/450 then up to new startrite 4xx series and 5xx series and by that time you're a looooong way past birthday present money :D

Industrial level machinery for hobbyist prices via the secondhand market isn't something you find everywhere, alas :(

And wait... and wait... :D
I've given up on the idea to be honest. At some point in the next few years we'll buy a house and then I'll buy a bigger bandsaw than the almost-aldi one I have now and I'll probably just get a startrite 4xx or something similar and lump the price into the cost of the mortgage :D List it as "fixing up costs" :D I mean, if the house's shed isn't properly rigged for woodworking, that goes on the snag list, right?

Back