Bandsaw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a 2nd hand Record Power BS500 bandsaw recently and went through the process of reading all the set up advice on here and watching the recommended youtube videos. I then set it up following the instruction manual bearing in mind what I'd read on here. I've used a bandsaw plenty of times but this is my first time owning one. The bandsaw, although an older model, has seen very little action and I think the blade is the original one.

I have some seasoned hardwood logs that I wanted to make into blanks and the first 8 or 10 cuts were fine but then the blade started to twist to the right (my right as I look at the blade teeth) and it was difficult to get a straight cut. I checked all the guides and tensions and adjusted as necessary and everything was good. The next cut scared the rubbish out of me as the blade started to cut a curve again and the wood suddenly grabbed the blade and the log was yanked out of my hands. I had to spend the next hour with a chisel digging the blade out which is now kinked.

Is the cause of this related to my 'technique' or could it be an issue with the wood, the blade or bandsaw? Just to be clear, my technique was slow and careful.

Steve

Get some appropriate Tuff Saws blades and see how you get on with good quality blades

Steliz":1pne0mdv said:
I have some seasoned hardwood logs that I wanted to make into blanks and the first 8 or 10 cuts were fine but then the blade started to twist to the right (my right as I look at the blade teeth) and it was difficult to get a straight cut. I checked all the guides and tensions and adjusted as necessary and everything was good. The next cut scared the rubbish out of me as the blade started to cut a curve again and the wood suddenly grabbed the blade and the log was yanked out of my hands. .

First, the blade wandering sounds like a blunt blade, with the teeth on one side having been damaged or at least lost their edge.

The grabbing of the log and jambing of the blade sounds as though you were presenting a Round log to the Blade.

This is a No No unless you have some form of support to stop the log Rolling into the Blade, and is indeed bad technique.
LS.jpg

Attachments

• LS.jpg
    LS.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 100
New blade obviously needed so that might sort it out - what shape are the logs you're cutting?
edit - what Chas said...

If you really need to cut round logs use a V shaped support, as said above a new blade and readjust the guides etc to suit will certainly help. Also ensure you have the right size and tooth blade for the job, it is easy to keep using the fitted blade as it is a hassle to change but it is very important to match blade to the job.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Now that I don't have a blade tuffsaws will be my next stop. Any recommendations? I will be using it for mostly hardwoods and some softwoods, that's it. The fitted blade is (was) about 3 or 4 tpi and 1/2inch.

Yes, I was cutting up round logs (approx 7" dia) but there was a reasonably flat side which seemed stable enough. I'll take better care next time.

Thanks.

A simple way to stabilise a round or misshapen log if you want to slice a length off is to screw a batten across one end.
log1.jpg

Attachments

• log1.jpg
    log1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 67
Back