Bandsaw on a trolley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
Still considering which bandsaw I might get soon. I'd like to be able to move it around so has been looking at some of the record power model which come with integrated wheels. However the wheels don't look like they are particularly large or substantial and it's not a completely smooth surface i will have to move it across.

I've been looking at the startrite 403 saw and was contemplating putting it on a flatbed platform tug trolley trolley such as this.

https://www.bregproducts.co.uk/tug02-pl ... -p-88.html

My intention would be to permanently bolt the saw to the middle of the trolley. The saw is 650mm wide and the trolley 700mm wide.

Has anyone tried something similar or can you see any difficulty in getting this to work.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a record BS 500 with the wheel set. It's proved to be satisfactory for the last ten years.

I’ve got a startrite 352 on a home made trolley and wouldn’t be without it. Like most workshops I simply don’t have the room to leave it in a fixed spot and still be able to use it as I wish.

Mine is simply 4 castors mounted to a piece of mdf and it works a treat. As Phil says it does mean the table is a tad on the high side but I like my ‘stuff’ high due to back problems. Only really becomes an issue if I need to use roller stands for support when cutting longer pieces.

I really wouldn’t be spending that sort of money though, you can find or make much cheaper.

+1 my 352 is on castors as well.

Nylon not rubber.

Pete

If youre going to make your own trolley, make sure you get castors rated for the load. No point buying small castors to keep it low to the ground, if the bandsaw weighs twice what the four castors are designed to carry. They will go flat at the bottom and then youre into serious risky business.

My 352 bandsaw is just moved when I need to on it's own wheels but I have several other machines sitting on mobile base units which work very well even though my floor is far from perfect.

Like these from Rutlands but available elsewhere, adjustable to fit most sizes and heavy duty enough for a bandsaw. One of mine was used on a large Robland planer thicknesser before I sold the machine, it's now on my mitre saw station.
https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+workshop- ... s+m_dk7247

I have most of my heavier tools on 4-inch wheels and it's pretty easy to move them around a ridged concrete floor.

I would have though it's not too difficult to switch over the caster wheels for bigger ones if you find the Startrite ones too small.

gmgmgm":5wa0rqkq said:
I would have though it's not too difficult to switch over the caster wheels for bigger ones if you find the Startrite ones too small.

So did the startrite saws come with wheels?

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

E-wan":1vxpp8f9 said:
gmgmgm":1vxpp8f9 said:

So did the startrite saws come with wheels? Thanks Ewan
Don't know about modern machines but mine has 2 at the front, just tip very slightly towards you to move it. I have a loop of rope threaded through which helps tip it.

Bob

Yep 352’s have small wheels that can be used for jockeying the machine around but as they leave only marginal clearance between the frame and the floor, your floor must be pretty smooth and flat to make good use of them. Mine came with a mobile base which I have kept and it gets moved around all the time. It raised the machine by a few inches but as I’m 6’3” that’s no bad thing IMO.

Latest posts

Back