Baby Elephant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversam

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost finished. Got the backing board to put on. Then the varnish. Tried the wax route earlier on some scrap wood but wasn’t happy with the finish. Must be doing it wrong. I like the colour of the wood to pop and show the grain. I probably like the glossy finish you get with varnish.i know it’s not to everyone’s taste.

The wood is western red cedar and tulip wood. The base is not red cedar but some scrap wood that I thought was going to be darker but it ended up looking like the cedar.
Andy

Attachments

• E7EF2E33-1EAD-4D66-A499-2A76277AFE4A.jpeg
    E7EF2E33-1EAD-4D66-A499-2A76277AFE4A.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 753
Lovely job Andy. I really like the wrinkles, they really bring the subject to life.

Try experimenting with a home made finish that I use quite a lot - one third each of - white spirit, boiled linseed oil, and pretty much any gloss varnish (except water base of course). This is a very thin mixture, apply liberally, leave for a few minutes then wipe off.

Once that has had 24 hours to dry I usually then also apply a final coat of Chestnut liquid wax and buff up.

Regards

Phill

Thanks.
Be a while before I’m up to their Standard.

Every project I do I learn something different. I always strive to improve or do something better on the next one. The joins are getting better and I’m shaping better. I now use photos for reference to get the muscle shapes and markings better.

I love doing them and I’m always looking forward to the next project. I hope that feeling stays with me for a long time. :D

Only problem now is I think I will run out of wall space to hang them in my house.
I’m trying the big Clydesdale now and I hope this turns out well. There is some very tricky cuts on this on the yolk and reins. :shock:
Andy

Thanks Phil for the home brew.
Don’t want to sound stupid but boiled linseed oil. Do you buy it boiled or do you have to do that yourself.

White spirit. That’s the stuff for removing paint isn’t it.

Gloss varnish not water based. Just a tin of clear varnish ok.

So then mix just what your going to use or will li keep a while already mixed.
I like the idea of wiping it on. Sounds a bit like wipe on poly. Never used that but read about it on some forums.

Just as an after thought can you use wax on a surface that has normal clear varnish on it or will that cause problems.
Thanks
Andy

Silversam":3l55zljw said:
Thanks Phil for the home brew.
Don’t want to sound stupid but boiled linseed oil. Do you buy it boiled or do you have to do that yourself.

It comes as boiled. Actually, it isn't boiled at all, rather, it has a drying additive added to reduce it's drying time. It is generally used in preference to raw linseed oil. You should find both readily available at most DIY stores. I think Wilko even stock it.

White spirit. That’s the stuff for removing paint isn’t it.

Again, commonly available at most hardware stores. Yes it is used for cleaning brushes and thining varnish etc.

Gloss varnish not water based. Just a tin of clear varnish ok.

Provided it is not water based (i.e. brushes cannot be cleaned in water).

So then mix just what your going to use or will li keep a while already mixed.

I keep mine in an old jam jar. It doesn't keep quite as well as plain varnish as, being thinner, it tends to dry out quicker. But then maybe a better container might reduce that.

I like the idea of wiping it on. Sounds a bit like wipe on poly. Never used that but read about it on some forums.{/quote]

I like it for its convenience. I should add that, although it brings out the grain nicely, it does add a slight amber tint so is only suitable for jobs that can stand that.

Intarsias with very light areas are maybe best avoided.

Just as an after thought can you use wax on a surface that has normal clear varnish on it or will that cause problems.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem but I'm not sure there would be any great benefit either.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you hop over to the Finishing Advice Forum you'll more help on finishing wood (should keep you going for the next few days :wink: ).

Regards

Phill

Thankyou so much Phil for the detailed answers. :D

There’s a lot more to finishing than what you initially think.
At first I thought it was just a spray or paint brush to apply varnish but to get the quality finish you have to work at it.

I have a few things to think about now with your brew and Brian also advised me about the use of wax.

Reading the finishing forums also puts ideas in my head.

Andy

Silversam":3uc2izgt said:
Thankyou so much Phil for the detailed answers. :D

There’s a lot more to finishing than what you initially think.
At first I thought it was just a spray or paint brush to apply varnish but to get the quality finish you have to work at it.

I have a few things to think about now with your brew and Brian also advised me about the use of wax.

Reading the finishing forums also puts ideas in my head.

Andy

I've read all sorts too and ended up thoroughly bamboozled. You're right the finishing forum will definitely leave you thinking.

Everyone has their own methods and will advise this and that over one or the other.

I think the best advice at the end of the day is to take your own counsel. Experiment with different finishes on different bits of wood and see what works best for you.

Every method has its own features and I don't think there is any one universal approach that works for all subjects.

Just remember it's your project and your workshop. Play around make some mistakes and have some successes but they'll be your mistakes and your success with no-one to judge.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit but after years of a working life getting things right it was something of an epiphany for me to realise that it was just as okay to make firewood as it was to make 'masterpieces'.

I confirmed that by adding a wood burner to my workshop :D :D

Regards

Phill

Well I’ve gone the oil route for finishing the elephant.

I bought some Danish oil instead of concocting my own. Watched a few vids on applying it and read a few of the forums on finishing.
I have applied the first coat and will apply some more tomorrow. I was a bit shocked at how dark the wood has gone. Maybe it will mellow after it has soaked in.

I preferred the lighter look to the elephant but the oil has brought out the look of the wood.
Here’s a photo of it just done.

I know the oil will effect types of wood differently but is it normal for it to go so dark. It’s western red cedar by the way.

Attachments

• 181C42A0-1F5D-4726-8D9F-AB6C12BF9656.jpeg
    181C42A0-1F5D-4726-8D9F-AB6C12BF9656.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 505
I know it is personal taste, but I like that much better. It has really brought out the great and looks very nice.

Phill

Thanks.
The wife likes it.
It’s growing on me a bit more. I think it’s probably after working on it for so long and always seeing it a light colour and then it’s suddenly changed in seconds. Bit of a shock lol.

I was going to give it another coat with the Danish oil but I don’t want it to go any darker so I may just wax it instead.
I might even try some scrap wood and see if it alters colour after 2 coats though before I decide.

I think it’s got a better look than varnish I must admit. It feels better too.
Thanks for all the advice about different ways of finishing.

Andy

Silversam":1rhirubt said:
Thanks.
The wife likes it.
That's that then. Well, it is in our house :lol:

I might even try some scrap wood and see if it alters colour after 2 coats though before I decide.
Always a good plan. I have some boards that I have prepped and finished with the different stains that I use to see how they look (as they're different on different woods.

As for the finishes, and I know I should have mentioned this the first time around (sorry), If I'm not sure which option to use, I usually grab an offcut from the piece I'm working on. Sand it up and then apply the finish that I'm considering to see how it looks.

Safest all round.

I think it’s got a better look than varnish I must admit. It feels better too.

Smooth as a baby's bum :wink:

Regards

Phill

Back