UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 21:04 
Settling In

Sorry to the chap who is selling one here at the moment - the machine is fine, i just find a few bits irritating on it, the current one being...

The thicknesser table has, what the parts diagram refers to as, an apron around it.

Have a look at this picture -

If you bring it up large, you can see a small strip of metal on the side of the thicknesser table? Grrr....

Why its there, who know. Whilst trying to thickness a wide part today, the job skewed, and rode up on that rail, so the machine gouged the top.

The rail sees to be to stop jobs moving out of range of the table, but its not high enough to do that, and not low enough not to cause bother.

Further, the machine has a lump, so as, if the job does ride up and twist, it then gets caught on the lump, whilst the knives merrily carve their way through the work. If the job wasnt up on the rail it probably wouldnt even get caught! It just seems so poorly designed, that, again, i feel like i must be missing something?

Ive not had this happen before, but i was trying to do wide parts, but short enough to twist.

Can anyone see any purpose for those side rails? Im wondering about either removing them, or re-making them higher, possibly accepting not being able to thickness parts under [x] mm. They wouldnt even need to be many mm higher than the existing ones.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 21:21 
Settling In

After posting, i went and had another look at the machine - the strips are not continious.

So, if youre working on a wide part, it only has to move a touch, and then the feed roller is pushing the job onto the end of the "apron" when it re-starts on the outfeed side. Only one of two things can happen, the roller slips, or the job rides up.

As theyre only a mm or two above the table, theyre kind of largely pointless, so far as i can see? They need to either be higher, or not there at all.

Anyone else with this machine had the same issue?