Axminster Hobby Series HBS310N

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter 001

Established Member
Reaction score
Just started woodturning and wonder what people think about Axminster Hobby Series HBS310N.
Axminster currently having promotion with £50 off the regular price which will make it £450.
I will be using it for general DIY, cutting bowel blanks and occasional resawing of small logs, may be up to 160 mm.
I am aware that whatever band saw I get I will need good quality blades like tuff saw blades.
I have looked at other options like Recorpower bs300' and while it hot stronger motor I prefer the axminster Ballbearing guide system. Also record power is 530 including delivery while axminster delivery is fast and free.
What do you think, has anybody used similar machine.
I like to go with Axminster because the price and also I have recently bought axminster lathe and I am very happy with it.

Band saw speficifations are

Bandsaw Blade Length 2,270 mm (89.1/2")
Bandsaw Wheel Diameter 310 mm
Blade Speed 360 & 720 m/min
Blade Width Min\Max 6 mm to 16 mm
Dust Extraction Outlet 100 mm
Max Depth of Cut 180 mm
Max Width of Cut 305 mm
Max Width of Cut with Fence 265 mm
Min Extraction Airflow Required 750 m³/hr
Model HBS310N
Nett Weight 80 kg
Overall L x W x H 700 mm x 800 mm x 1,680 mm
Power 550 W 230V 1ph
Rating Hobby
Table Height on Stand 1,005 mm
Table Size 500 mm x 400 mm

Thanks Mike for taking time to answer my questions. Reading all threads above it seems nothing is perfect especially in my price range.
I have also read some not so good review about equivalent Makita and Metabo bandsaw.
For occasional use I think the HBS310N should be adequate.
I have ordered the HBS310N this morning and I hope I made the right decision.

I have that model of saw, though I did buy mine probably 7-8 years ago when they were a lot cheaper and were rated as "light trade". How different the current models are I don't know as I have only seen pictures.

I have been very pleased, it has done everything I needed it to and more, with a slight modification I even managed to get more depth of cut and I have run it right to its limits and it has not let me down yet.

Well... I got a 310 bandsaw for my birthday a couple of months back.

It was supposed to be a surprise, so Axminster agreed not to deliver it until THE day... which they managed with stunning aplomb.
What they first stuffed up on was sending me the free pot of machine wax, plus an invoice which said BANDSAW all over it, so utterly dropped both pineapples on that one!!
In apology, Axminster sent a Bandsaw Buddy and a £10 gift card.

So, the thing arrived, all good and well, chucked it together, sorted it out. The instructions are a little off, especially around things like mounting the cast iron table, so use your noggin a bit. If you still struggle, give me a nudge and I'll let you know how I managed it.

Unfortunately something was up with the lower wheel. I couldn't get enough tension on the blade and the wheel made a loud grinding. I also noted that the lower wheel was missing it's circlip that held it onto the motor spindle, and the drive belt was quite loose and flaccid.
A quick natter with and some photos/videos sent to Axminster customer service showed the pulley was too far forward. Unfortunately we couldn't get it moved back far enough, so they sorted a replacement... even took the old one away, which was nice as there's no way I could have hefted that into my car!!
They also sent a couple of different blades by way of apology.

So, brand new replacement arrived just before I went on holiday. I've been back long enough to give it a few test cuts and I'm rather happy with it so far. Unfortunately the weather is being a bit awkward round our way, so once that's cleared up I'll be back out and building stuff!!

Back