UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how I have eventually modified my BS350 with good results.

Dust extract bandsaw.jpg

Dust extract bandsaw 2.jpg

It's connected to a 2000m3/hr extractor, I fear you will not get decent results with anything less.

Mike

Attachments

• Dust extract bandsaw.jpg
    Dust extract bandsaw.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Dust extract bandsaw 2.jpg
    Dust extract bandsaw 2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,639
The problem is there is no good way to seal up the body of the machine without blocking access to guides etc. I did try and make a little box that slipped around the blade and guides under the table to improve air flow but there is just too much in the way and it's very awkward.

IMO and it seems it is just my opinion, the majority of dust off a bandsaw is from the blade tooth offset, this manifest itself in dust on the table and just below finding its way into the bottom casing, there is a school of thought that says the dust is carried in the gullet of the blade around the bottom wheel up the side column and around the top wheel to deposit itself onto the top of the table, make up your own mind on what you believe and duct accordingly, it is my observation that with the extra duct I attached by the blade on top of the table the amount of dust inside the top casing and on the table was dramatically reduced.

Mike

There wasn't space under my Record 350 to build the kind of dust traps some have, so I just cut a shape from ply to tape to the lower housing that would hold the pipe from my shop vac next to the blade, below the table.
_MG_6634.jpg

Together with extraction on the lower housing, it seems to work a treat - I hardly ever vacuum inside the lower housing as there's next to nothing in there, just a bit in the corners. Maybe it's not as efficient as the versions that try to enclose the space around the blade under the table, but I can't think it could be much more efficient - I work with a strong side light and can see plenty of dust when I forget to turn the extractor on, and none when it is on. Maybe something similar could work for you?

Chris

Attachments

• _MG_6634.jpg
    _MG_6634.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1,484
Good idea Chris I like the innovation, may have to try that myself as the top extract does get in the way and would be much better under the table, thanks for posting.

Mike

I posted this in another thread & although it's not the same make of bandsaw, it may help.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photo but it should give you the rough idea which was pinched from Rob Cosman.

Bandsaw Dust collection.jpg

The table has threaded holes on the underside which I used to bolt a piece of wood which carries the metal straps that keep the pipe in place.
Although I rarely change blades or tilt the table, it is only a matter of seconds to remove. Takes a bit longer to reposition though.

As I said, it works for me. It allows me to use the shop vac with it's standard size smaller hose.

Attachments

• Bandsaw Dust collection.jpg
    Bandsaw Dust collection.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 1,380
Rorschach":qu9nvs6b said:
I could believe that the blade is dragging dust back up and around.

I can't see why the dust would choose the moment it leaves the upper housing to deposit itself on the table rather than leave the blade when it pass's the two brush's inside the case that are designed to remove it.

Mike :ho2

That's surprising I have one on the blade alone by the lower wheel and one on the upper wheel and blade, what make of Bandsaw is yours.

It may help to buy a couple of brush's made for one of the Record Power Bandsaws and retro-fit them to yours.

I used to have a homemade brush in there, didn't really seem to help. Maybe I'll try again. Only needs a cheap toothbrush clamped in the right place.

The brush's in the RP bandsaw are nothing like a cheap toothbrush, much longer bristles and quite stiff.

Mike

Back