Axminster AT1628VS Lathe outrigger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammistar

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
This is my first post on the site and I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I'm considering purchasing the Axy 1628 but it will be bench mounted due to lack of room. I now understand that although the headstock swivels, there is no outrigger for this lathe only the bed extension dropped to the lower fixing point. As it will be bench mounted, this is not an option for me as I would have to raise the main lathe bed to accommodate the extension, plus I do not have the room for the extra length. Has anyone found a solution to fixing an outrigger on this lathe? All sensible answers would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

I gather from your post that you want the extra size in respects of bowl diameter. The only solution that I can see is to have the extension fitted to the front of the bench so that it sticks out which may not be the best solution depending on where in the shed it is situated. By doing this it could be attached at either end as I believe the headstock can also slide along the bed. If the extension is fitted at the tailstock end this may mean that to turn larger bowls you would need to remove it during this operation as well as having a little extra space at that end to accomadate the larger bowl.
If this option is how you would like to go then remember that the bench will need to be very substanstial.

The second solution is to turn the headstock and have a separate free standing tool rest to enable larger bowls to be turned this you may have to make yourself as the one on axminsters site is rather expensive

Hi Michael , i am looking to upgrade as well i have a axminster 900, and have been looking at lathes with a swivel head as i'm a left hander and find having the lathe at 90 degrees makes hollowing bowls so much easier, like you i have looked at the 1628 as well as the record Maxi, which comes with a outboard attachment, and sort of narrowed it down to 1 of these 2, my dream lathe would be a vicmarc 240 but out of my price range worst luck. just lately i have been looking at the killinger 1400 from toolpost this can be purchased with a bolt on outboard attachment which swings out of the way when not in use. price for the lathe is about the same as the 1628, only problem is it only has a 1hp motor , compared with the 2hp on the 1628.and the next model up the 1450 with 2hp motor is about £600 more. i don't really want a outboard turning stand, i was wondering about seeing if i can bolt on a killinger outboard attachment to a axminster 1628 stand. if you are as you say bench mounting the lathe , maybe you could design the bench around the stand , have a look a toolpost website for killinger lathes, also google killinger outboard attachment( images) this give a better idea of what you get , let me know how you get on i would be interested to see what you think.personally i think axminster are missing a trick in not having a bolt on attachment for the 1628 and 2030 lathe models

The extension for the 1628VS either bolts onto the end of the bed or onto the legs whereas the outrigger for the Killinger looks like it bolts to the end of the bed.
Killinger Lathes.jpg

Attachments

• Killinger Lathes.jpg
    Killinger Lathes.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,464
Thanks for all of your replies, at least I have a better idea of what is possible. I looked at the options of free standing tool rests but for me, space is an absolute premium and I can see something like that being put out of the way and never used. I did look at the Killinger lathes before the Axi and to be honest, I think they are overpriced. The outrigger on the Killingers is also quite a bulky item. There is a possible solution coming out of Stratos / Twister lathes. The Twister FU200 is the same machine as the Axi 1628 and it has been suggested that they might have a solution, which would also work for the Axi, so I'll contact them for more info. Failing that, I'm thinking that the Jet outrigger accessory could be made to fit and that would be a very nice, fold-away solution. To be honest though, I don't like the idea of having to modify a new lathe to fit in with my needs and I'm really considering redesigning my small workshop and going for the Maxi1. Anyway, glad I asked the question, you've all given me different directions to look at. Thanks again.

that would be interesting, the Twister with a outboard turning option, if you get any info stick it on here i would grateful. still think a bolt on something like the vicmarc outboard attachment could be fabricated without to much trouble

Thanks guys for all the tips / suggestions. I went to see the 1628 at Axminster Warrington today, of course only to check it out in the flesh, so to speak and try to work out how an outrigger could bolt on. There’s a logical mounting point at the end of the bed so I’m optimistic. I really was impressed with the 1628, in fact so impressed, I now own one! Trying very hard not to show too much excitement at the moment. I’ve had the offer to try an outrigger that apparently works for the Twister FU 200, so I’ll pick that up when I’m in Germany in 2 weeks time. If it doesn’t do the job effectively, it can go back and I will knock up a wooden prototype and get my local engineering company to make one for me. If the Twister outrigger does work I’ll come back with the details.

Tammistar":3gm4l2v2 said:
Thanks guys for all the tips / suggestions. I went to see the 1628 at Axminster Warrington today, of course only to check it out in the flesh, so to speak and try to work out how an outrigger could bolt on. There’s a logical mounting point at the end of the bed so I’m optimistic. I really was impressed with the 1628, in fact so impressed, I now own one! Trying very hard not to show too much excitement at the moment. I’ve had the offer to try an outrigger that apparently works for the Twister FU 200, so I’ll pick that up when I’m in Germany in 2 weeks time. If it doesn’t do the job effectively, it can go back and I will knock up a wooden prototype and get my local engineering company to make one for me. If the Twister outrigger does work I’ll come back with the details.

The outrigger does fit onto the optional legs lower down to allow for larger bowls but I believe that you have brought the lathe without so as you have already seen you will only be able to fit it in line with the bed which will on;y allow you to turn longer items in spindle mode.
Looking forward to what you think of the outrigger you are going to look at

I would suggest that an extension goes in line with the bed & an outrigger at an angle ... although one angle could be 180° ie, in line as it is with the Axminster.

This (post1185368.html?#p1163852) was my solution.

I did consider not adding a left front drawer, and putting in attachments for the lathe extension bed, but felt the balance may be questionable with a large workpiece hanging off the front of the bench.

Tammistar":3q3f4axl said:

well you move fast, will be very interested in how the twister outrigger works, please keep me posted, enjoy your lathe im sure you made the right choice, it would be my 1st choice apart from no outboard turning attachment. if you have found a solution then well done

regards Tim

Tammistar":x4vtnglq said:
I’ve had the offer to try an outrigger that apparently works for the Twister FU 200, so I’ll pick that up when I’m in Germany in 2 weeks time. If it doesn’t do the job effectively, it can go back and I will knock up a wooden prototype and get my local engineering company to make one for me. If the Twister outrigger does work I’ll come back with the details.
The thing I love about this forum is the innovation. Just when you think you've seen practically everything, something different pops up.
I'll also be interested to see the results.

Hi again,
Tim, it probably does look like I made an impulse buy but to be honest, the 1628 was always going to be the favourite because realistically, I just don't have the room for something like the Maxi 1 or a Killinger 1450. I would have to lose valuable cupboard space to get the lathe and stand in. This way, by having a bench mounted option, I can create new cupboard / drawer space, have the option to mount the bench on casters and therefore if the Twister outrigger option is not viable, I could do something similar (but not as professionally) the wonderful bench 'created' by Sploo (seriously nice job - respect!). My ambition to turn bowls in excess of 16" is probably much, much greater than the number of times I will actually do so. So, all in all, I've probably come to the decision I was always going to make.
If I have one gripe about any of this, it's the fact that all of my Axi clubman chucks (x3) are 1"x8tpi and there are no M33x3.5 exchange back plates for them, so my options are excert thread adapters (hello new spindle bearings), or new chucks. However, I would have had that problem with any of the other lathes I looked at. Just won't go for clubman chucks this time!

i'm sure you didn't do a impulse buy, looks like you done your homework, 1st, like you i have sort of dismissed the Maxi 1, only on size like you, i think i would head for the killinger 1450 if money no option but as its about £600 more than the 1628 i would be looking at the killinger 1400, but that only has a 1hp motor, so maybe like you i will be looking at the axi1628, but stand model, looking forward to some pics of the outboard rig from Germany when you get it,

happy turning Tim

Back