AWSL drive belt replacment, help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin gill

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
I am a newbie and have only been turning for around 8 months, or trying to.
I was bought an Axminster hobby lathe for my birthday last year by the wife and Kids, and absolutely love it.
I think there must be an ulterior motive behind getting me a lathe, my guess is to get me from under her feet !
Anyway after 8 months of loads of speed changes the belt has become slack, i ordered a replacement from Axminster which cost just over 6 quid.
Has anyone got any tips on how to replace the belt, I have searched youtube with no avail.
I know I have to remove the hand wheel by removing the grub screw and also the pulley wheel which again is a simple grub screw but then what?
It looks like I just knock the spindle out but which way and is there any circlips as I cant see any
all help will be gratefully appreciated
cheers
Mart

Hi robbo
I have seen these drawings and yes there are circlips I need a proper good look instead of the quick 5 mins that I did,
I shall keep all posted with my findings

I have a CCL which is I think the very much older version of what you have. Only needed to change the belt once in about 3 years, but the speed change system does need a bit of maintenance 2/3 times a year. The central bar off the motor needs to be cleaned and oiled (dry oil) as it tends to stick when you change speed, by that I mean the disk is not moving along the motor bar. This leads to thinking the belt has gone lose

When I first got it it needed striping down now I get away with a few squirts of oil very now and then.

Changing the belt just requires you to set the the highest speed, unplug, removed the cover and it will come off but removed one side first, motor wheel or drive shaft first, bit bit change a bike tyre.

Hope this help.

Austin

Jasper, what you're describing on the CCL sounds like the Reeves drive with variable pulleys, whereas the AWSL has 5 fixed speeds selected by moving the belt to different sized pulleys.

Latest posts

Back