Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

 Reply
User avatar
By Fireburst
#1197412
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a good quality scrollsaw to support the creation of some personalised wooden gifts. The scrollsaw will work in conjunction with a GCC Spirit Laser Cutter/Engraver. The laser cutter has limited depth cutting so I feel that a scrollsaw will be perfect for those occasions. It will probably get some use every day for a an hour or two so I am looking for something that is reliable.

I am wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to experience both the Hegner and the AWFS18 as they both look very similar. I am happy to pay the extra for the Hegner if it of a higher build quality.
User avatar
By Claymore
#1197423
I have 2 Axminster saws a AWFS18 and an Axminster EX30 both are superb saws and would do any type of scrollsaw work, the EX30 is very handy because you have a massive table (30") and i find it ideal for supporting longer pieces of wood etc. build quality is excellent too plus spares are cheap..Hegner are great saws and most people love them but i wouldn't rule the Axminsters out until you have tried one.
Cheers
Brian
ps what's ya name? I hate calling people by their screen name......maybe you were christened Fireburst? lol
User avatar
By Fireburst
#1197430
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply... my name is Andy and I should have introduced myself for which I apologise :mrgreen:

I will have to sort out my signature :D
User avatar
By Droogs
#1197450
I too have an EX30 and can't recommend it enough. For me it's selling point over the Hegner was the fact the the saw arms and not the table tilt, giving much better control in my opinion. Bade change is simple and the machine has proven to be reliable so far
User avatar
By Fireburst
#1197579
Thanks for all the replies.

Do any of the Axminsters support the use of a foot pedal? Also is there a big difference apart from size between the AWFS18 and the EX series?

thanks
User avatar
By Claymore
#1197684
Fireburst wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

Do any of the Axminsters support the use of a foot pedal? Also is there a big difference apart from size between the AWFS18 and the EX series?

thanks


Regarding foot pedal no they both have NVR switches and after contacting them they said a pedal would only work as a On/Off switch and not change the saws speed. The smaller EX series are 16" 24.5kg and 21" 29.5kg the EX30 is 30" 52kg none of them are lightweights but they are all built to last (the EX30 is VERY heavy so needs a solid stand, i bought the metal stand with mine and glad i did because it does need something solid to mount it on....there is virtually no vibration from any of the saws) The AWFS18 is 29kg 18" table.

Cheers
Brian :D
User avatar
By Claymore
#1197700
Your welcome Andy the other guys on here helped me get started 4 years ago and always try to help if possible
Cheers
Brian
User avatar
By Fireburst
#1198163
Ordered the EX30 ... I was put off by the cost of the spares on the Hegner models plus I thought it better to go for a bigger machine to accommodate all eventualities.

It's being delivered on Monday :)

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
User avatar
By Claymore
#1198168
Fireburst wrote:Ordered the EX30 ... I was put off by the cost of the spares on the Hegner models plus I thought it better to go for a bigger machine to accommodate all eventualities.

It's being delivered on Monday :)

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.


Great stuff Andy you won't regret buying it and your right the large table does come in useful. Don't know if you have bought any blades yet? if not I can recommend Pegas blades depending on what your cutting a good allrounder blade is Pegas number 5 Skip blades..........I use them from size 1 right up to 7's for thick Oak and Corian if your cutting thin stuff then 1's to 3's should be fine.
Cheers and save your energy for Monday as you will need as much strength as possible.....the EX30 is a big beast.............mine is nicknamed H M S Axminster as its like an aircraft carrier :lol:

Brian
User avatar
By Fireburst
#1198227
Claymore wrote:
Great stuff Andy you won't regret buying it and your right the large table does come in useful. Don't know if you have bought any blades yet? if not I can recommend Pegas blades depending on what your cutting a good allrounder blade is Pegas number 5 Skip blades..........I use them from size 1 right up to 7's for thick Oak and Corian if your cutting thin stuff then 1's to 3's should be fine.
Cheers and save your energy for Monday as you will need as much strength as possible.....the EX30 is a big beast.............mine is nicknamed H M S Axminster as its like an aircraft carrier :lol:

Brian


Yes I have purchased a wide selection of Pagas Blades

I'm not too worried about the size and weight, I had a cnc delivered a few months ago that weighed around 200KG.... that was a beast!
By JanetsBears
#1198240
Fireburst wrote:I'm not too worried about the size and weight, I had a cnc delivered a few months ago that weighed around 200KG.... that was a beast!

Bah, amateurs! I had to move my 480kg lathe from the garage, where Axminster dropped it off, into my workshop, which involved moving it over a step. Just took my time and thought about it for a month, planning a group of mates to help, but then I did it alone. :wink:

Chris
User avatar
By Claymore
#1198245
JanetsBears wrote:
Fireburst wrote:I'm not too worried about the size and weight, I had a cnc delivered a few months ago that weighed around 200KG.... that was a beast!

Bah, amateurs! I had to move my 480kg lathe from the garage, where Axminster dropped it off, into my workshop, which involved moving it over a step. Just took my time and thought about it for a month, planning a group of mates to help, but then I did it alone. :wink:

Chris


Nahhhhhh weakling I carried the Axminsters lorry over a 6ft Hawthorn hedge and into my workshop.......with two broken arms and a squint in one eye! :lol:
By AES
#1201005
Enjoy your Excali clone Fireburst (Andy). I have the Excali 21 and love it (mine was bought just before the - cheaper of course - clones were available from Axi!).

AES (also Andy)